• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Valve Clearance

Pob

Hi,

I have a 1.9 with a Piper 270 cam, any ideas what should the valve clearance be?

Thanks

Dan

Sandy

0.2mm inlet and 0.25mm exhaust, according to their catalogue.

Pob

Thanks for the reply a great help

Thanks again,

Dan

Pob

Hi all,

I posted this question a while back, I've just used my car for the first time since picking it up and wondering how 'ticky' should it be? Because of the increased valve clearance I know it will be louder than normal, mine is quite loud I'm just wondering if the clearances need doing.

Thanks,

Dan

pug_ham

If you set them to the clearances above it shouldn't be bad imo.

Have you got a cracked exhaust manifold?

Gaham.

Pob

Gaham.

Possibly, I can smell fumes around the back of the engine, but Its differently coming from around the cam cover. It is quite loud, Its the most prominent sound when driving. I haven't done the valve clearances yet, do you think they will be out?

Thanks,

Dan

Anthony
Possibly, I can smell fumes around the back of the engine, but Its differently coming from around the cam cover. It is quite loud, Its the most prominent sound when driving. I haven't done the valve clearances yet, do you think they will be out?

If you've put a different cam in then it's entirely feasable that the valve clearances will be way out, particular if the BP270 cam that you've got is a regrind rather than one ground from a blank. Only takes a few minutes to remove the rocker cover and check the valve clearances - all you need is a set of feeler gauges.

Pob

Gaham.

I checked the clearance's a couple of days ago, Exhaust and Inlet are all 0.2mm. I don't think the tappets are causing too much noise, I listened to it today when I first started it cold It was quiet, by the time I got home there was a noticeable increase in ticking. When turning the heater on when cold, it smells of exhaust fumes, would I be right in thinking either the manifold has cracked or the gasket has gone?

Any tips on removing the manifold? I don't want to snap a stud off in the head like the previous owner did on my last one :)

Many Thanks,

Dan

brianthemagical

it's not the injectors is it, per chance?

Sign in to follow this