• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monty69

Heavy Steering S16 Engine With Gutted Ps Rack

monty69

I have a ps rack with the pump and ram disconnected on cast block mi. The steering is very heavy when the car is pushed. My 16+ stone mate drove it and agreed, its just too heavy for precise control, especially if i ever added slicks or castor. what do others use for track use? Is the quick rack heavier? A standard rack is outa the question as 3.2 turns is already too much.

tom_m
I have a ps rack with the pump and ram disconnected on cast block mi. The steering is very heavy when the car is pushed. My 16+ stone mate drove it and agreed, its just too heavy for precise control, especially if i ever added slicks or castor. what do others use for track use? Is the quick rack heavier? A standard rack is outa the question as 3.2 turns is already too much.

re pas it?

VisaGTi16v

What state are your top mount bearings in? My Visa has a pas rack with no pas, ie .5-1 turns less than a standard rack or something. Anyway, its steering is far lighter than in my 1.6 205 which has a standard slower rack presumably because the bearings in that are totally shot. Cant think of any other reason for it. Visa has a smaller steering wheel as well which would make it harder to turn

mos

i would seriously consider putting the p/s system back on

i have an s16 running p/s and even with it its fairly heavy with a decent amount of feedback

its not like a modern car with p/s i.e light and feel-less

and its a fair bit heavier than my 1.9 8v running carbs which has p/s on it

mark

Anthony

Have you driven other non-PAS 205's to compare the steering weight to?

The steering will be heavy when parking, but I find my de-PAS'd 205 just fine even when pushing the car on track running semi-slicks.

Top mount bearings would certainly be a good place to start in diagnosing the cause, as well as checking that the rack turns freely and effortlessly with the car jacked up in the air.

monty69

I will try a few other 205s at northwest meet this weekend. Had front sruts in bits and everything free. Im usually all up for non pas, having owned several old minis and 106s, but this is heavy. So in a nutshell what would i need to convert to pas? pump and pipes off 306 s16 or 205?

tom_m

epas is the future :D

205 pas rack and low pressure side pipe work. 106/saxo electric pump and custom high pressure pipe. bit of wiring and frictionless PAS is your friend

DSC00459.jpg

Edited by tom_m

Sign in to follow this