• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kanyeost

Oil In Water

kanyeost

So... there is oil in the coolant expansion tank of my UK 205 Rallye. I am presuming it's the head gasket but before I set to it is there anything other than the gasket that I need to consider as a cause...?

Engine is standard with 160k on the clock. There is no evidence of water in the oil, the oil level has not notably changed over the last 3 months, no overheating, compression is ok I think; 12 bar across 3 cylinders, dropping to 11 on number 2.

Problem started after I fixed a pretty major oil leak from the cam and crankshaft seals, presumably extra oil pressure has caused it. Assuming it is the head gasket is it likely to deteriorate rapidly if I don't replace it soon?

Any thoughts appreciated.

johnnyboy666

take it to a garage and they can do a gas test for not much money and that should tell you if its the headgasket or not :mellow:

Sandy

The oil gallery seal in the head gasket is a common point of failure, usually resulting in an oil soaked alternator/corner. Impressive mileage!

Ethos
take it to a garage and they can do a gas test for not much money and that should tell you if its the headgasket or not :mellow:

I had some oil in the coolant when I got the 205 gti.

Worth giving the coolant a complete flush and seeing if it goes oily again. Touch wood mines been fine.

Only cost like £15...

Casanova

That is one hell of a mileage. As long as the oil's good and you've got compression it should be OK?

§

trogboy

Are you sure that the problem only started after you cured the oil leak?

I bought my first Rallye as a H/G failure with oil in the expansion tank only to discover that was where the previous owner had been topping up the oil! :mellow:

kanyeost
That is one hell of a mileage. As long as the oil's good and you've got compression it should be OK?

§

Yeah, I was gonna dump the engine and stick a (relatively) low mileage TU3S in seeming I've renewed pretty much everything else on the car. But I can't find one near enough so now I'm thinking that I'll keep the old iron lump and see if I can get it past 200k. I think the long rallye gear box has given it an easy life.

The oil gallery seal in the head gasket is a common point of failure, usually resulting in an oil soaked alternator/corner. Impressive mileage!

Sandy... I have an oily corner so that sounds likely!

Thanks for the replies.

oliver17491

the oring below the liners has gone if its oil in water and if its water in oil then its head gasket

Sandy

Iron block, solid casting, no liners.

oliver17491

sorry my mistake i thought this was the xu section

Sign in to follow this