• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest smokinslim

Brake Fluid Quality And Grade

Guest smokinslim

Thinking about brake fluid is it worth paying a bit extra for quality branded stuff over the usual stuff you find in the likes of halfords etc?

Also what grade is best to use these days, dot 4 or 5.1?

Longfield

I think it depends what you're using it for... if it's for the road then I'm sure the halfords stuff should be ok because it'd have to meet minimum stds and for normal braking on road that should be good enough. If you're on a track you might find you'll boil your fluid before long, like i've done in the past, and ended up having no brakes at all ! Thus for track I think it's very much a case of spend more for higher quality brake fluid but for my road car's I'm happy using the Halfords/Carlube stuff or any other brand my mechanic recommends etc.

swordfish210

i use mine for road and track and i run Castrol Response DOT 4 fluid. It's only £12 a litre, it doesnt eat the oil seals like most Dot 5 fluids will do and it stood up to a whole day at Castle Combe just fine.

craig f90

Halford do stock a DOT4 race and track fluid. usually on the shelf at the parts counter. ive been using standard DOT4 fluid from them and its been fine.

Guest smokinslim

Not sure they'd let me on track in my ragtop, if i ever get it finished.

Dot 5 is silicone stuff, not suitable for conventional braking system, Dot 5.1 is compatible however.

So it seems its probably worth paying the extra few quid for Castrol or the like then...

lee-bg

There is new DOT 5.1 stuff which is basically 4.1 , nothing like DOT 5 silicone.

thats with higher temperature of boiling and prefered if you are boy racer type as me :P) i love to break a lot.

My alloys are black from brake dust, but i just love it.

So it all depends how you drive your car mate. I would say DOT4 is good for normal every day use

and 5.1 or Motul RBF for sporty braking. :o Especially in summer time when outside temp are hotter enough.

Regards

brianthemagical

the dot rating does not involve the temprature.

CaptainK

I use DOT 5.1 stuff in my FTO after discussing my requirements for braking with my mechanics. Good stuff and seems to do the job. ;)

hengti

rather than what you use in a road car, it's probably more important to be changing it regularly (every two years or so). Castrol Response is relatively expensive but, for the sake of an extra fiver every two years, i'd use it over the cheaper fluids myself.

long read about DOT ratings if anyone's interested: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml

Sign in to follow this