• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maz89

Rust!

maz89

i am starting to get rust above my rear window what do i do?

steve@cornwall
i am starting to get rust above my rear window what do i do?

I ground mine out, skimmed and painted last year and now it's showing through again.

My feelings are that the rust starts from the inside of the panel where it's bonded together, so removing all the rust on the existing panels is unlikely, and any fix probably won't last. I don't mind doing mine annually and following a complete respray, colour match isn't a problem. Generally though I would think that replacement of the metal in this area was the only real fix - and god knows what you will find on a twenty year old car when you start cutting metal away. I don't think my car warrants the expense of a GOOD bodyshop at 40 quid plus per hour, and I reckon a cheap quote would only get me the same job that I've already done.

What colour is your car? This will make a difference as to whether the paint could be blended - or the whole car may end up needing spraying - esp. if it's red / orange :) like mine.

Get a quote from a Decent bodyshop, - Abraham's in Truro (10/10) and expensive! or even Falmouth Coachworks (who I believe do all the new BMW work) although I wasn't too chuffed with their finish a few years ago they will quote only to do a proper job that will last.

Carefully check the rest of the shell to see if there's more to do and decide whether your car is actually worth the expense.

maz89

well its going in to be full seam welded and weld in roll cage being done buy jam motorsport. The last thing i want is a phone call saying "You need a new shell".

Its white but getting a full respay.

Im looking to hopefully get them to do the rust work to but prob be big money.

Sign in to follow this