• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kjd4000

205 Gti 1st Service

kjd4000

I have bought a j reg 205 gti 1.6 54k genuine miles on the clock and its been sitting in the previous owners garage since 2002!! I have had it running a few times and starts first time no probs. now im still learning about car mechanics and It is having a service at the end of the month and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on any parts i should replace while its being done? Headgasket was done at the same time as cambelt all ready. Any advice?

Cheers Kieran

CaptainK
I have bought a j reg 205 gti 1.6 54k genuine miles on the clock and its been sitting in the previous owners garage since 2002!! I have had it running a few times and starts first time no probs. now im still learning about car mechanics and It is having a service at the end of the month and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on any parts i should replace while its being done? Headgasket was done at the same time as cambelt all ready. Any advice?

Cheers Kieran

Oh my gosh, another Kieran.

If its been sat for a while, I'd replace all the rubber bits on it as no doubt they're past their "best before". Things like cambelts, power steering, aircon belts (if you have PAS & A/C) etc. I'd also check the tyres on it - they may look ok grip wise, but if they've been sat for 5 years then the rubber would have cracked or deteriorated. Tyres, as with all rubber items, do have a shelf life.

It goes without saying to replace coolant & antifreeze mix, oil, filter, air filter and so forth. The brakes might have seized up, so check them and renew if needed. Probably be worthwhile doing anyway for peace of mine. I'd also change the brake fluid at least for peace of mind. Check the suspension as well to see if its ok after sitting for a bit. Oh, and do some checks on the clutch to see if that hasn't seized etc.

Apart from that, just take it easy for a while and it should be fine. :)

kjd4000

nice one Kieran is such a good name lol. Cambelt has been done, new rubber is on too as the tyres that were on there looked like the originals (and cracked to s**t)!! Didnt think about the belts so i will check them, front brakes have new pads and i think the handbrake is stuck on so i will need to play with that too!!!

What about plugs and leads? are they worth doing or just checking?

kjd4000

Just to add also been thinking about a hose kit from BBM. is this worth while, even just for piece of mind my last 205 headgasket went shortly after a coolant hose bursting!!

All Praise The GTI

i highly recommend the bbm kit. i put off getting one until mine did just that... cooked the head after a hose split. they are very good quality and look great(i got blue) worth every penny in my eyes

kjd4000

yeah my car is miami blue so a blu kit is for sure im not to hot on mechanic side of things yet but i assume its easy to know which hose goes where?

pugman211

as for the handbrake, just gentlydriver the car forward steasdily getting more power on and the hand brake will free off!!!

jackherer
Oh my gosh, another Kieran.

There are at least four Kierans on here that I know of (including me).

kjd4000

yeah i tried that pugman and it wasnt having any of it!! another thing on the list to play with! its quite rare to meet another Kieran i must say nice to meet some more lol

Sign in to follow this