• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Hot Starting Intermittent Problem

CaptainK

I've noticed that my standard 1993 1.9 Gti sometimes has problems whilst starting when hot. e.g. you drive it somewhere, stop engine and leave for 5 mins or whatever and then start it again.

Basically the starter spins fine and turns the engine over and it feels like its trying to start, but just doesn't quite. If you try again but with the accelerator floored it coughs a little on starting, but then starts fine.

Any ideas on what I could look out for? Thanks. :)

j_turnell

Your tachymetric relay could be getting to hot and starting to fail possibly. Or could be an ignition related problem such as the coil or ignition amp.

CaptainK
Your tachymetric relay could be getting to hot and starting to fail possibly. Or could be an ignition related problem such as the coil or ignition amp.

Whats a "tachymetric relay" ? :)

Apart from occasionally not starting, the engine runs fine. Well, I think its down on power a little but apart from that its fine.

j_turnell

This is your fuel pump relay, they are renowned for failing as they overheat. Its located next to the ECU under the dash, near steering wheel, i'd go for a drive, get the car nice and warm, then see how hot the relay feels and see if you can smell any burning.

CaptainK
This is your fuel pump relay, they are renowned for failing as they overheat. Its located next to the ECU under the dash, near steering wheel, i'd go for a drive, get the car nice and warm, then see how hot the relay feels and see if you can smell any burning.

Cool thanks. I'll have a feel next time I hammer.... *cough*, sorry drive it. :) Been reading the other "won't start" threads and understand how the "ignition amp" thing works as well.

Sign in to follow this