• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Effective Handbrake

Craigb

From last weekend's road rally , I believe that i have a solution for the lack of a reasonable handbrake on a disc beamed 205 .

for this event i removed my old PTS hydraulic handbrake and replaced it with a vertical one , whilst still retaining the the std one for MOT and Scrutineering purposes .

I found the rear pads that i fitted on the last event ( Carbon Metallic ) worked brilliantly even using just the cable handbrake , which i still kept going for despite having the new one ..

Not the cheapest option , but after 3 years of trying to find a reliable handbrake , a solution

Just thought I'd share this one ..

Edited by Craigb

peter

So just upgrade to Carbon Metallic pads on the rear,

Will this not effect the front/rear braking balance making it more prone to locking the rear wheels first?

Craigb

possibly , but i suppose it depends on what you have on the front , and whether or not you have a bias valve fitted .

The post is competition based , rather than road based ! why would you want to hand brake a road car on a regular basis . :wacko:

I have mine on a bias valve , with more bias set to the back than you would normally see on a road car any way as , as std the rear brakes do next to nothing .

Jrod

Road rallys maybe? :wacko:

peter
The post is competition based , rather than road based ! why would you want to hand brake a road car on a regular basis .

When a three point turn just isnt fast enough :)

kenp
So just upgrade to Carbon Metallic pads on the rear,

Will this not effect the front/rear braking balance making it more prone to locking the rear wheels first?

As standard (i'e' without a bias valve), 1.9's are overbraked at the front anyway (IMO) - so this could be a neat way of restoring the balance.

I'll give it a try for the handbrake alone anyway :)

SPGTi
I found the rear pads that i fitted on the last event ( Carbon Metallic ) worked brilliantly even using just the cable handbrake , which i still kept going for despite having the new one ..

Are these perfomance friction ones or Carbone Lorraine ?

cheers

Steve

Craigb
Are these perfomance friction ones or Carbone Lorraine ?

cheers

Steve

Performance friction

Sign in to follow this