• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Help Me With My Dilemma

Dave_McC

Sorry if this has been covered but search is down.

I bought an Mi16 engine about 6 months ago (at a time when GTI 6 engines seemed quite expensive) for £325 including ecu, loom, afm and some water pipes. Turns out there was a fair bit of wear and so far I've had the crank reground (£135) and have managed to get hold of another set of pistons and rods (£40). I've stripped the head and it's currently having the valve seats recut and several of the valve guides replaced, followed by a skim (should get this back from QEP on saturday) - don't know cost of this yet. I've also bought a baffled sump and need to get an oil pump pick up extension and get it welded to pick up.

I still need to get hold of some decent liners and get them honed, plus new inlet cam (£150? for Cat cams - original is badly worn), piston rings, main and big end bearings.

I reckon I've probably spent about £700 so far and need to spend about another £350 to get the engine back together again - plus things like clutch, uprated engine mounts and water and oil pipes which I'd need for any engine swap.

My dilemma is I've seen a couple of GTI 6 engines sell recently for £550 - £600, complete with ECU, loom and (for one at least) complete water pipes. These have all allegedly done about 60-75k miles - so I'm presuming I could just drop straight into car without rebuilding. Should I stick with the Mi rebuild, or would I be better off cutting my losses and just buying a GTI 6 engine - it's a newer engine, better spares availability and shouldn't need rebuilding yet.

And what might my current selection of Mi bits be worth?

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Dave

NOsMAN

Either way you are going to be out of pocket B)

Since you have already spent a load on this engine you might as well finish it , cos you know its been done properley :)

Buying another engine of unknown quantity might result in the same thing again ... :P

Alastairh

Your half way there, and matt is building you a head for the Mi, so keep with it!

Dave_McC

Cheers for the support - I'll keep going with the Mi then.

Dave

Sign in to follow this