• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
josh1990

Rallye

josh1990

I am looking for a larger caliper set up for the front, i have searched and read the articles on the forum but only returned information about the GTi.

I was wondering what the best setup would be for me?

I have a 1991 (K) 1.4 Tu engined Rallye.

I am after a bigger set up of another Peugeot because i dont fancy changing to much ie the hubs but would do it if i had too..

Descriptive parts and methods will be needed as i am doing this myself, any help much appreciated,

Bigger is better right?

Thanks alot

Josh c

danpug

1.9 gti setup should make a good upgrade. Iirc it bolts straight onto TU hubs. Alot more extreme is the 266mm setup you would find on 206 gti's, 306 xsi's etc. These would be major overkill on your car though!

Jrod

1.6 calipers with 1.9 discs, gives the advantage of vented discs but without a big weight increase.

I'm now running standard brakes (solid discs) and to be honest they are fine as they are, Just use some decent pads and fluid.

Guest jonathanes

Hi Josh,

Not sure about the 205 as I have only just bought my Rallye, but on my previous performance cars I have found that decent pads, braided hoses and decent fluid is well worth it and a damn sight cheaper to set up :P:lol:

At the opposite extreme, my Rallye has just had new standard solid discs from EBC, with their budget black pads, which set me back a whopping £44 delivered. I fitted these myself and have a set of Goodridge hoses, which cost £38+P&P from http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/ tell Claire I sent you :)

I'm just looking for a decent web guide as I want to fit the hoses myself and replace the fluid so all in all, a big improvement (over what I got on the car when I bought it) for less than £100, though probably highly unsuitable for track work :)

Cheers, Jonathan

Ps. I'd be interested to see what you go for, so keep us posted :(

Edited by jonathanes

RossD

As a more modern alternative to worn out 1.9 calipers, the 247mm vented setup found on 306's will bolt straight on.

josh1990

What will the make of my standard calipers i have on be Bendix Or Lucas. I have found some black diamond pads on http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ go on search by brand, then black diamond, front pads, 205 1.4 theres a choice of two which one?

Thanks

pug_ham

A uk Rallye (aka XS) should have bendix brake calipers up front.

Graham.

Guest jonathanes

Yep, mine are Bendix.

I'm glad I fitted my new EBC standard solid discs and pads as I had to do an emergency stop this morning :D but all was well :(

edit:

My near side front caliper has been replaced at some point, but the offside one looks original - how do you remove the bolt that holds it to th hub - it looks like it has a five sided head and all my spanners are for hexagonal bolts :)

Edited by jonathanes

welshpug

you need a special socket, available from sealey distributors and many others, (read e-bay....)

welshpug

you need a special socket, available from sealey distributors and many others, (read e-bay....)

Jrod

That't isnt the bolt that holds the calipers to the hub, thats the bolt that holds the pad slider bit to the caliper. (well at least it shouln't be a 5 sided bolt there.)

Guest jonathanes

Ah, cheers both :D

I worked out I could change the disc without removing the caliper so I got away without having to undo it anyway :)

josh1990

I think im going to swap the disks for black diamond holes and grooves, get some black diamond pads different fluid see how it goes, will let you know when done.

Edited by josh1990

Jrod

I don't think i'd bother.

If you are going to spend money on drilled discs you might aswell get some ventilated ones, that's if you are having problems with overheating?

Sign in to follow this