• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Teacher

One Piece Projector Lights

Teacher

Saw these on a 205 on youtube.com:

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. The difference is pretty subtle yet remarkable. Compare P2 and P3 306's, P1 and P2 206's to mention but a few with manufacturers switching to clear lenses.

Never really been a fan of Morette twin lamp conversions for a road car; round seems alien on a 205.

A quick search and I found these 2 different types:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd277/t...elightscomp.jpg

Top ones are £140 a pair delivered from eBay; bottom ones about £200 each from (rip-off) ecosse

Just wondering what you think

pugman211

lots of people feel differently about these headlamps but it all boils down to this..................its your car!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they will look nice, but on the other hand i also like the square look of the OE headlamps.

Another thing you may wish to consider, is having a HID kit fitted to your OE headlamps!!!! That way, you keep the squarish look on the car, but also get the modern look from the beam!

Either way, think long before you buy them, and personally i'd want to see pics of the headlamps in the daylight and in the nightime. It will give you a better idea of the overall look. And i also prefer the top set of headlamps to the lower set.

Let us know what you decide! :unsure:

Baz

Teacher

Thanks for the input. I agree any styling adjustment is dependent on the individual concerned

I’ve fitted xenon bulbs which do seem brighter and give better night vision. Infact it's the same set of bulbs I’ve had in my last 3 cars (5 years use). Definitely recommend them for the price (about ~£5 at the time).

I agree the square look of the OE lamps is a must and was impressed that the car on youtube seemed to retain that.

I had 2 205's one a 1.6 and the other a 1.9 TD commuter (from a 405) and wanted to make them look a bit different.

The diesel got killed by an astra going through a red light on my way back from work. (pretty soft the sides of a 205 something which I intend to strengthen on the 1.6)

I was just wondering if anyone has done this before, as a 205 with new OE headlamps really brightens the front end up

and sheds many years. Guess I was wondering if there is a reason why more people haven't done this

pugman211

majority of people dont like the look of the projector lamps and feel they ruin the good looks of the car!

kjd4000

i had a post on this too. not many people like "angel eyes" on here but "pugman" is right you need to see them on the car in the light and in the dark to make a proper decision. If you do a search for angel eyes you will find my post and there are some pics of the bottom lights on cars. Personally i do prefer the top set of lights and i still havent made my mind up!!! Cant find anyone, or any pics with the top set of lights fitted and no pics of either in the dark. If you come up with anything or buy any then do please let me know.

Kieran

Edited by kjd4000

paulh

I've got the projector lights on my Ford Puma - can't say I'm impressed :)

Teacher

I searched a while ago for this topic, tried earlier but searches are disabled for a few days. I'm not too bothered about the "angel eye" effect tbh I just think the clear lenses clean up the front end. One of the technicians at work has a MIII fiesta RST and he made some clear plastic lenses bonded onto the original reflectors for his and it looks better. I'm usually against modernising the 205 but subtle mods seem to blend in pretty well (like ditching the orange repeater lamps).

I'm holding back until I can get more info on the fit and quality of the product. Some aftermarket products can be pretty shoddy with huge gaps ect...

I use loads of poorly lit backroads so quality is pretty important, especially with winter rolling in...

Pugnut

i've always found the 205 to have pretty good lights

Teacher

I agree it does, i wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with projector lamps on a 205. I don't want them to be any better than the standard items since it is purely a cosmetic change, but i don't want them to be any worse.

I've got a Megane courtesy car (57 plate) which has these projector lamps fitted and they work pretty well (about the only thing that has impressed me- besides the speed limiter and cruise control)

I'm finished with the mechanical side of my 205 (for now), I'm having it sprayed early next year so now I’m focusing on the cosmetic side.

I was wondering if anyone had fitted them:

1.Do they fit well?

2. Do they work well ?

Cheers.

GLPoomobile

The design of the 205's headlamps has always bothered me, because of the fact that the lamp and the indicator is seperate, and the fact they can be a pain to fit correctly so they line up etc. When you actually look closely, the 'shut lines' around them are horrendous (even worse than the panels on the car :) ). I wish they'd given the 205 some tidier 'all in one' units like the 309 got.

For a an OE look, I'd recommend getting some original lense protectors as they cover the head lamp and indicator and help smooth them together to look like one unit, but they are difficult to get hold of and pricey for what they are.

I do like the idea of these aftermarket projector units, and it's something I had going through my mind years ago so it was only a matter of time before someone started knocking them out. But I don't like the fact that they have designed them to appeal to the Lexus light brigade :wacko: - they are too OTT in the design and just a bit naff, and certainly not in keeping with an OE styled 205. I think they look OK if you have a 205 with a bodykit etc, that is styled to look more modern in general.

cybernck
I wish they'd given the 205 some tidier 'all in one' units like the 309 got.

309? are you sure? :)

jackherer
309? are you sure? :)

309s have seperate indicators and headlamps too, I have some in the garage.

cybernck

yes, ofcourse, that's why i'm asking.

GLPoomobile
309s have seperate indicators and headlamps too, I have some in the garage.

Oh OK, didn't realise that as I've never owned one the ugly f***ers :) On the 309's I've glanced at in passing, I always thought that the headlight and indicator assembly looked very tidy and well fitted, which is why I assumed they were one piece.

DaveW

you could try lights from other cars? my mate has vw bora headlights on his 205 and someone had a cab with mk5? polo lights.

Ahl

I like the idea of aftermarket lights too, projector or otherwise, but I never see anything that looks 'OE' enough - they always look just slightly out of place, even custom made ones.

As said, a good set of 205 headlights are actually very good, even compared to modern car headlights. I'll be fitting a nice new set and some HID's.

pugman211

thats because our 309 headlamps line up better than yours GlPoomobile!!! :)

Teacher

I like the idea of aftermarket lights too, projector or otherwise, but I never see anything that looks 'OE' enough - they always look just slightly out of place, even custom made ones.

As said, a good set of 205 headlights are actually very good, even compared to modern car headlights. I'll be fitting a nice new set and some HID's.

It's the messy, seperate headlamp/indicator assembly which i want to improve. Also the clear lenses compared with the glass lenses would make the front end look sharper i reckon.

The projector units on offer do look a bit OTT for my liking. I might get the cheepest set and see if i can somehow modify them to look a bit more OE (maybe fit the standard reflectors in there instead)

kjd4000

That would be pretty good, if you do get them get some pics of them fitted first then play with them and get some pics of those too. Let me know how you get on it would be very interesting

Edp
assumed they were one piece.

You know what they say about assumption :mellow:

Imho these headlights appear overpriced and wouldn't suit the 205s lines. The standard lights with decent bulbs are entirely adequate.

Edited by Edp

kjd4000

thats a fair comment but surely it would be nice to see different things and not the same old same old?

Teacher

For about £150 it's worth a dabble, if they look s**t i'll sell them. Pretty sold on the idea now so i'll order a set at the end of the month and post some pics when i get them.

Will look into ripping out the projectors and fitting standard reflectors if they look OTT.

Bonding sealer and Araldite should do it!

GTI6BOY

I had them on my car, and have sold them a couple of months later. Save your money for something else

The light they produce is so poor it unreal. At night driving down country lanes you can see more than a couple of mts in front of you. I bought new headlight/indicators/decent bulbs and some genuine pug headlight covers for £35 from pug which really tidies up the front

IMG_1349.jpg

Edited by GTI6BOY

kjd4000

any pics of them on the car? are you talking about the top or bottom set of lights? surely the light they produce would depend on the bulbs?that answers my question lol

Teacher

That looks like the top set from ecosse (£200 per lamp)?

They do look pretty good though!

The OE lamps do their job well (especially with decent driving lamps to boot) i think anyone who is thinking about this is doing it purely for cosmetic reasons.

Poor quality reflectors will throw less light where you want it.

Early OE (Lucas?) lamps are in 2 pieces, with a plastic interface (which usually dulls and looses it's chromed effect)between the reflector and the lense.

If the projectors are poor i'll replace them with the standard reflectors off the early lamps.

Nothing is ever simply 'plug and play' on a 205... thats why we love 'em!

Sign in to follow this