• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joey

Dodgy Dash

joey

Was just wondering about the instrument panel on my GTi. 90% of the time when i turn on the ignition the lights that come on are, the battery light and the parking brake one(when it is engaged of course).. But when the car feels like it the oil pressure light will come on and lately the temp light will too(which is strange).

Will some1 please clarify what should light up when the ignition is turned on

thanks

joe

jackherer

The oil pressure light should be on if the engine isn't running as you have no oil pressure. Because of the way a 205 dash works the STOP light comes on with the oil pressure light and the coolant temp light will also come on.

Chances are yours doesn't work most of the time due to corrosion in the brown multiplug above the gearbox. Otherwise its going to be a wiring fault elsewhere or possibly the oil pressure switch itself is faulty. Try disconnecting the spade connector from the switch and ground it on the engine block, this should make the warning light come on.

Its very important to fix this ASAP because you run the risk of killing the engine if the pressure runs low and you don't have a working warning light, I speak from experience :lol:

joey

Ok thanks for the reply. Im fairly sure the oil pressure switch is working as it should but i reckon there is a bad connection at the back of the dash as sometimes if i give the left side of the instrument panel a belt the warning light will come on.. Your right about gettin it sorted tho,

ill add it to the list :lol:

Sign in to follow this