• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Mi16 Gearbox With 1.6gti 3,4,5 Gears.

matt-k

Ok people for my mi16 rebuild, i have in my possesion 1 x mi16 box & 1 x 1.6gti box. (The search is'nt working by the way) ive just read a post on though and it gets a little confusing, one person says the Mi16 box has the same 1st & 2nd gears of a 1.9 gti box whilst another says the mi's first to gears are no good for a 205 as there designed to pull the heavier 405 and acceleration will be damaged! :o Apparently the mi box has the same final drive of the 1.6 box.

I was going put the 1600 box in but 1st is apparently no good for getting power down so if the mi has the 1.9 1st & 2nd then could i just change 3rd and 4th for my 1600 ones?

So basically are the first to gears of a 1.9gti & Mi16 identical and can i swap 3rd N 4th to 1600 gears.

Please help before my head explodes. :D

petert

Mi16 (but not Mi16x4) and 1.9L 1st and 2nd are the same ratio, 2.92:1

All gearboxes have the same 2nd gear, 1.85:1.

Yes you can swap 3rd-4th and 5th.

But beware there are some small differences that make interchanging of BE1 and BE3 parts, and reverse gears difficult.

whizzer71
Ok people for my mi16 rebuild, i have in my possesion 1 x mi16 box & 1 x 1.6gti box. (The search is'nt working by the way) ive just read a post on though and it gets a little confusing, one person says the Mi16 box has the same 1st & 2nd gears of a 1.9 gti box whilst another says the mi's first to gears are no good for a 205 as there designed to pull the heavier 405 and acceleration will be damaged! :o Apparently the mi box has the same final drive of the 1.6 box.

I was going put the 1600 box in but 1st is apparently no good for getting power down so if the mi has the 1.9 1st & 2nd then could i just change 3rd and 4th for my 1600 ones?

So basically are the first to gears of a 1.9gti & Mi16 identical and can i swap 3rd N 4th to 1600 gears.

Please help before my head explodes. :D

Take a look at this,It should help you ;)

http://www.mckeown-enterprises.co.uk/downl...5ratiosGti6.xls

You will need M/S Excel to run it though.

There is also this that could help too B)

http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

Get any probs,PM me.

Tris

whizzer71

Sorry to Hijack,but as we're on the subject any one got a 205 D cwp set going spare ?

:o

matt-k

Thank you very much petert. And thats a just the link i need to get the job done. Cheers whizzer.

Do any of you know what the small diferences are as mentioned by petert?

philfingers

I've got a couple of spread sheets which show gear ratios, road speed at change up point etc. If you want them PM me with your email address and I'll forward them,

Phil

Sign in to follow this