• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
butchlad

2.0l Mi16 - Getting It Running On 1.6 Management

butchlad

Hello all,

I've just bought a project, that the previous owner gave up on. It's a 1990 1.6 GTi with a 2.0l Mi16 engine in it.

From what I have gathered so far, it is running with the 1.6 ECU, 1.6 loom, a distributor converter, and the standard S16 inlet manifold......... It doesn't run.

I've had a scan through ALL of the posts in the relevant sections on here (search function is disabled), and gleened bits of information. Basically, I would really like to know what I need to get hold of in order to get this running nicely.

From what I understand so far, the 1.6 ECU will not allow the engine to reach its full potential, so am considering an aftermarket ECU from these guys:

http://www.constella.co.uk/tuning/productlist.asp?CatID=53

The AVAC system in the S16 inlet manifold does not seem to be in-favour, so would an Mi16 or GTi-6 one be better? If I went down this route, would I need to buy any other bits and bobs too?

Advice on compiling my shopping list would be great.

Phil

Richie-Van-GTi

loom and ecu from an earlyish citreon zx 2.0 16v (around L plate). that will be un-coded and all you need to get it running. If its not from an AVAC engine'd car then ditch the inlet in favour of gti6, if it is then it will all run as it should.

allanallen

early phase 2 405 mi16's (k reg) run an ecu with no code aswell. If you fit a gti6 inlet and throttle i think you'll ideally need to remap the ecu. I'm sure miles fitted one to his s16 so its probably worth having a word with him.

on the other hand i had no problems with the AVAC system on the mi i used to have and my brothers been running a 405 2.0mi with AVAC for ages and also had no probs.

Alastairh

Your doing the right thing and converting to proper 16v management. As you say your not getting the full potential, reduced fuel economy etc.

I have converted one of these looms. When the search function is back up, have a nose through my old threads, you should see one that will help :wacko:.

I would be tempted to get the S16 inlet working. As when its working properly, it does very well. Just a crap design, but the bits that break arent too expensive from pug new, plus it'll run 100% and not require a remap :)

Al

Sign in to follow this