• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
butchlad

Part-finished Mi16 Installation - Advice Please

butchlad

Hello all,

I'm back on the 205 scene (I couldn't stay away too long, not after all the giggles my 1.9 provided) with a bit of a project. I've bought a part completed Mi16 project. The guy has not been able to get it running correctly (misfiring), and it would be great to find out why.

I've not had it running yet, as I'd prefer to make sure everything is installed correctly before I try to fire it up. The engine installation looks a little rough to me (see pics), so I would really like to make sure everything has been done correctly first. I'm still in touch with the guy, so if anyone has any recommendations about things to make sure are correct, then please let me know. What I know so far -

The exhaust manifold has been lined up directly with the standard exhaust, with no re-angling required. Does this mean it's been bodged in?

The slam panel has been notched out.

The cap has no oil breather pipes coming out of it.

The lambda sensor is dangling free. There looks to be a temp sensor already installed and not connected, and one dangling free. Other electrical connectors seem to be not connected too.

The dipstick is not correct, so if anyone can spot which car this engine came out of, then that would be great.

Please review the pics below, and let me know what you think. All advice and comments are greatly appreciated - I want to get this brute on the road (if I can) before the really bad weather hits.

PS. There is an electrical port mounted on the dash (see pic) - is this a diagnostic port?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but.../EngineSide.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but...EngineFront.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but...gnosticPort.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but.../TempSensor.jpg

pugman211

well, its a bit hard to say what angle the engine is at from those pics. are you sure its an XU10J4????? and not some other variant? I thought only the XU9J4, Mi16 alloy engine, had the dizzy cap? I'm sure someone will correct me there!

As for the temp sensor, that needs to plug into the blue socket at the bottom of the pic, next to the red plug. And i think the yellow is the reverse connector. The lambda sensor should be connected as that will make the engine run too rich which will ultimately results in bore wash!!

The diagnostic port isn't used on this conversion and is probably your original 205 wiring.

What you need to do, is now find out whether the bulkhead has been smashed to allow this engine to fit like this, or whether the lower engine mount has been extended to tilt the engine further back. From what i hear, thats not a good thing to do, so you want to get that checked out as quick as you can really.

Are you running the MI16 Motronic management or the 205 Jetronic??? Try asking the guy how he installed it etc. You also want to get the coil pack moved from where it is. Under that scuttle panle will be making it get soaked with water!!!! That will cause heavy misfires etc.

Hope some of that helps!

pugman211

you know, i've just been looking on ebay, and i'm pretty certain your engine is a 306 S16, not an Mi16. i could be wrong though

Ben

Is it not just an Mi16 with an 8valve distributor fitted?

Stu

Judging by the photos mate i would say that its an S16 engine, rather than an Mi. Not necessarily a bad thing, they're still 150 or 155bhp as standard, but have a cast block rather than the Mi's alloy one, and use different management. The inlet is different too with the AVACS system.

Judging by the distributer adapter i would say it's running on 205 management, which may well be why it doesnt run right, the lambda thing confuses me slightly, what year is your 205?

butchlad

It's a late 1990 (H reg).

I asked the guy before I bought it if the bulkhead had been smashed in, and he said no. Everything apparently lined up without having to do any modifications.

CaptainK

The "diagnostic port" looks more like an old aftermarket immobiliser system. Note the circular hole next to it - thats where the LED would have gone to tell you if its on or off. My old Vauxhall Nova had a system identical to that.

Obviously on your new engine, the wiring for that immobiliser would have been removed.

C_W

Looks like a 2.0 Mi16 (or 306 S16) engine that's had a distributor cap fitted to it (think the S16 engine originally used coilpacks?).

butchlad

Thanks for the advice so far chaps, the veil of mystery around this car is starting to lift.

I suppose the easiest thing to do is have a look at the engine number, to find out what I've got in there. Where do I need to look for this?

Thanks again

returnofjim
Hello all,

I'm back on the 205 scene (I couldn't stay away too long, not after all the giggles my 1.9 provided) with a bit of a project. I've bought a part completed Mi16 project. The guy has not been able to get it running correctly (misfiring), and it would be great to find out why.

I've not had it running yet, as I'd prefer to make sure everything is installed correctly before I try to fire it up. The engine installation looks a little rough to me (see pics), so I would really like to make sure everything has been done correctly first. I'm still in touch with the guy, so if anyone has any recommendations about things to make sure are correct, then please let me know. What I know so far -

The exhaust manifold has been lined up directly with the standard exhaust, with no re-angling required. Does this mean it's been bodged in?

The slam panel has been notched out.

The cap has no oil breather pipes coming out of it.

The lambda sensor is dangling free. There looks to be a temp sensor already installed and not connected, and one dangling free. Other electrical connectors seem to be not connected too.

The dipstick is not correct, so if anyone can spot which car this engine came out of, then that would be great.

Please review the pics below, and let me know what you think. All advice and comments are greatly appreciated - I want to get this brute on the road (if I can) before the really bad weather hits.

PS. There is an electrical port mounted on the dash (see pic) - is this a diagnostic port?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but.../EngineSide.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but...EngineFront.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but...gnosticPort.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/but.../TempSensor.jpg

Hi, Ok first off that engines either a late 405 mi16, 306 s16 or zx 16v. They all share the same engine and management. The exhuast manifold on these engines are cast rather than the tubular style like the 1.9 Mi engines. these manfiolds require no modification to fit a 205 downpipe in a GTi. The Front slam panel has to be cut to allow clearance for the inlet manifold, there isnt really a way round this, It usually looks fine if its been finished off well. By the looks of things its running an 8v dizzy with converter and could be running 8v management, individual coil packs are used on these engines, no dizzy! This also probably answers your other questions about sensors not being connected and the engine running poor. The dipstick goes in at the back on these engines so look perfectly ok to me. The best advice i could give would be to remove all the old 8v ecu, wiring, dizzy etc, (you will never get the engine running 100% with that setup) and get hold of the std management, wiring and any other sensors you might be missing. The exhuast downpipe will need a hole cutting and a thread welding in for the lambda sensor, get all the std management back on and she should be up and running in no time. I have a feeling if you try and get it going the way it is now it will be a long an painfull process.

Good luck :blush:

Miles

It must run badly to say the least as the ACAV system needs a signal from the ECU to operate the Air valve which in turn open's or closes the buttlefies in the Alloy part of the manifold,

If you planning on keeping on the Dizzy then find a GTi6 Inlet Manifold and fit that.

butchlad

All I'd like to do is get it running as easily and cheaply as possible. Any solution that works with what I have already would be great.

Miles

If you want a quick fix, The get hold of a Mi16 (1.9) inlet manifold and TB, It will run allot better but will be down on power compared to a std one

butchlad

A quick fix is I suppose the wrong phrase for it. I'd like to get it running properly, but by the easiest method. If someone could provide me with a shopping list (I might have found a GTi6 manifold), I'll get on it.

Advice is much appreciated.

matt-k

Hello, This was my old car! I originally bought it off a farmer after finding it in a barn out Louth way three years ago when it was a 1.6 and it went like stink and got me hooked on 205's. The lad who bought it of me "fitted" the s16 engine which came from a late 405 Mi16.

Also, if you decide to keep the dizzy check that the dog drive is lined up correctly as the cams on this engine dont come threaded on that side and the lad who did the conversion drilled and tapped it himself.

Cheers, Matt

mattmk1

The blue plug on the lambda needs to go to the ECU temp sensor - which is currently not connected but is seen in your last picture. I belive the yellow two pin plug is for the lambda, but you dont really need this as it only seems to be running the 8v management, so connecting or unconnecting it shouldnt make a difference. The port thing is just an old immobiliser key, lots of them (strangely) are fitted to 106's.

Sign in to follow this