• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Often But Not Predictable Knock?!?

Kennyb

Ok, help me out here guys please....

Every so often (say 1min or so) i get a knock coming from o/s front area, i've had on jack and checked all the bone, bearings, drop link etc and all are solid but there is slight play in the driveshaft after the middle cv joint, could it be the driveshaft? :D

it is unpredictable when it knocks but mainly on a corner or under acceleration but really when it decide's????!! :) just one knock tho not ....knock...knock....knock....knock :ph34r:

Bla...!?!!? im a bit confused and dont want to go n buy a new shaft just to be annoyed that the f**kers still there when i've changed it :ph34r:

steve@cornwall
Ok, help me out here guys please....

Every so often (say 1min or so) i get a knock coming from o/s front area, i've had on jack and checked all the bone, bearings, drop link etc and all are solid but there is slight play in the driveshaft after the middle cv joint, could it be the driveshaft? :unsure:

it is unpredictable when it knocks but mainly on a corner or under acceleration but really when it decide's????!! :wacko: just one knock tho not ....knock...knock....knock....knock :blink:

Bla...!?!!? im a bit confused and dont want to go n buy a new shaft just to be annoyed that the f**kers still there when i've changed it :(

Knackered engine mount ?

projectpug

Mine did this with a knackered drop link and top mount

Kennyb

Changed top mount last wk cos it was fubared, n still it does the same, drop link is fine 2 :-(

Could it be the shaft? is there suposed to be a bit of play in them?

johno_78

have you checked the subframe bolts. i had a strange knocking on my car until it changed to bad vibrations when the bolts actually fell out on one side!!!

Kennyb
have you checked the subframe bolts. i had a strange knocking on my car until it changed to bad vibrations when the bolts actually fell out on one side!!!

Yep sub frame bolts were tightened a few months ago when i noticed they were loose looking for the origin of the knock.......still not sure about how much play there should be in the os driveshaft????

Guest marsred
Yep sub frame bolts were tightened a few months ago when i noticed they were loose looking for the origin of the knock.......still not sure about how much play there should be in the os driveshaft????

Did you sort this? Having same problem and all prep'd for a driveshaft change (bit of play in mine too) but if it turns out you just had to wipe some mud off your tyre or some such simpleness i'd be most happy to hear it!!

djinuk

i also having a knocking sound which i believe to be top mounts, is the top mount just the rubber peice u can buy from bbm > ?

nick

It might sound daft, but make sure that nothing is dangling around in the engine bay, a stray large connector, dim/dip resistor, fan speed resistor or relay tapping the body will sound loud when your in the car.

Nick

Kennyb

Yep still have problem....cant find it anywhere....been ripping my hair out trying to find it......its now moved though to under/around the drivers floorpan??? is it just body creakage from it being an old bugger?

Had the mot man look aswell for anything he could spot and he couldn't find diddly, but he says my driveshaft is fine :)

Sign in to follow this