• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mad4tar

205 Mi16, Cut Out, Won't Start, No Fuel, No Spark

Guest Mad4tar

Hi all, just joined the forum and am impressed!

I wanted to share a problem I had and have since solved for the benefit of people who mighn't have as much time or patience as me :(

I was out in my 205 Mi16 a few weeks ago, and giving it some stick on a bumpy back road.

The car cut-out instantaniously and refused to restart - nightmare! The car turned over fine, but didn't start.

Stuck on the roadside (and 200 miles from home), we checked all the major connectors - no joy. The timing belt was fine and tight. Got a screwdriver out of the tool kit and checked for fuel and spark - we had neither. So we "wiggled" the wires that run through the bulhead to the ECU and it was cranked over - still nothing - the wires were well insulated, but it was worth a try.

I got the train home, got my trusty Xantia estate and trailer - 3 hours on the motorway, recovered the stricken 205 - 3 hours back - very peeved indeed!!!

I got a coil and an ignition module from GSF carparts, as somebody mentioned that if you have no spark, the ecu won't fire up the fuel pump...... so this could be a no spark issue only!!! -- eehhh NO,

120 euros down the drain. Getting 12v to the coil but no trigger - which leads to ignition module, which is getting 12v but nothing from the ECU!! - cold sweat forming!!

I got a multimeter and started doing continuity checks on everthing - but without a wiring diagram, this became difficult. I checked each individual relay seperately too - all fine. So, onto the net.

First stop was here, but no signs of any useful downloads or sketches...... ;)

After two days of searching every Mi16 page in the world - I had a Eureka moment! Didn't that engine come in the BX GTi???? - Bingo, masses of resources - including wiring diagrams.

Found the problem straight away - so listen up.

A wire didn't just break - it completely disappeared! only leaving a shriveled burnt fosil of it's original form! There is a live loop going from the fuel pump relay to the ignition relay - only about 2" long.

Replaced it - car is back to 110%.

Hope this helps people with similar problems :(

joey

Alright lad,

congrats on the fault-finding.. you get plenty of practice with these cars anyway!! Was it at the Cork'20' you got into difficulties by any chance??

Gavtrials

Any pics of this?

Sign in to follow this