• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spike

Tubular Bottom Arms

snillet
due fairly soon I thinks from a chat I had with Phillip a few evenings ago :P

Spare wishbones for mocking up purposes have been sourced.

Sounds good.

Although i´m into constructing ones for myself at the moment, the layout of the wishbones isa bit tricky though, since they´re "L" shaped you need to make shure you get enough strength into the part between the bushes and the joint. I have read a few stories about bent tubular wishbones on these cars and i can imagine that it takes quite som brainwork to make it strong enough, and yet fit in fron of the ARB and all that.

The stock wishbone is a quite neat construction squeesed in there :lol::rolleyes:

Batfink

Though I think Colins setup is a great price for racing, its a bit expensive for a road car i think. Colin does not recommend the use of rose joints on a road can due to the dirt and salt grim issues that could arrise (though i think you can now get rubber boots that cover them. Its the first question he asks when you call him lol

Paul - Surely Xsport can (and have) produce(d) some tubular wishbones??

McPikie

Has no-one tried Brom at Zoo Motorsport yet?

Yes, he is very Ford biased, but the guy is a LEGENT with a welder and I am sure he could put matters in hand

Rippthrough
The stock wishbone is a quite neat construction squeesed in there :lol::rolleyes:

Yep, avoiding the arb while keeping the required strength is the key, thinking about milling the arms which makes it eay, but they'd end up a little heavier than the tube for the same strength, so not sure yet.

Colin does not recommend the use of rose joints on a road can due to the dirt and salt grim issues that could arrise (though i think you can now get rubber boots that cover them.

Mine will come with my own polybushes, but rose joints (with seals) may be an optional extra.

I've got to work on the stress testing for a while once we have the prototypes done though, so it's going to be 4-6 weeks at least.

Tom Fenton

Need a test mule Phil? My red 205 will be on the road as of the 1st of Feb.

Sandy

I've been pushing Colin towards making a more road compatible version of his set up. Just straight forward tubular arms as described above may reduce flex, but still do nothing for the migration of roll centre and bump steer you get when lowered. Obviously he's my pal and you'd expect me to say it, but his revised geometry front end feels and handles so right, just like a tightened up and well lubricated standard car, you can really feel the suspension working, rather than just loading up and kicking back as a lowered 205 normally does.

Rippthrough
I've been pushing Colin towards making a more road compatible version of his set up. Just straight forward tubular arms as described above may reduce flex, but still do nothing for the migration of roll centre and bump steer you get when lowered. Obviously he's my pal and you'd expect me to say it, but his revised geometry front end feels and handles so right, just like a tightened up and well lubricated standard car, you can really feel the suspension working, rather than just loading up and kicking back as a lowered 205 normally does.

Yep I had the same dilemma when designing my 306 stuff - straight tubular arms give you the adjustment but you have to compromise in order to fit them to standard cars as other components are in the way or limit you, I gave up for my car so the next set of suspension will be a full double wishbone up front - may as well do it once and do it properly!

If you've got the money I would go with Colin's full kit, but I'm hoping to cater for otherwise stock cars which want some adjustment and the ability to replace balljoints cheaply.

Sandy

I'm sure there would be many takers for that.

Rippthrough
I'm sure there would be many takers for that.

Hopefully, Colins setup sounds :) though, got any photo's?

Sandy

Can't really, sorry. It would give alot away!

Tom Fenton

That is a shame, I'm considering having some arms fabricated in Ti by this guy http://www.foxwebsitedesign.co.uk/index.html

Would be nice to see any alternatives available.

Sign in to follow this