• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Tu24

205Rallee

Hi Folks,

I have LHD 205 Rallye with the TU24 engine. The engine was a Peugeot reconditioned unit back in 1998. Since then it has had the head modified by LAD (???), Kent cam (???), double valve springs, vernier pulley, Marmitte 4-2-1 manifold and omex 3D ignition. It uses no oil and revs to circa 7,750 without problem.

It's only got about 80bhp at the wheels...So we are going to check the compressions, leak down test, then get the head sent to Longman to be done properly.

What do I need to do to this engine, keeping it below 1400cc , in order to get the best out of it? Any advice on pistons, liners, balancing. It's got to stay reliable and still be torquey enough for hillclimbs and sprints. Should I swap the block etc for a 1360?

Any help advice would be appreciated.

RossD

80bhp at the wheels is around standard power for that engine from the factory. LAD don't have the best reputations out there for their work, so the head *could* be losing you power. Same with the cam, if you don't know the spec, chances are its not quite right. (It could have even have less lift or duration than the standard TU24, as that was quite a hot cam for a production engine!)

I think you are probably doing the right thing in getting a company with a good reputation to sort the head out for you. If you can't work out the cam specs, maybe find a reputable company (CatCams?) that will sort you out a profile that will suit the engine.

macaroni

I agree with all above, but apart from the RR reading of 80bhp at the wheels, does it feel quick enough?

After all, sprinting isn't about the power at the wheels reading...

christopher
80bhp at the wheels is around standard power for that engine from the factory. LAD don't have the best reputations out there for their work, so the head *could* be losing you power. Same with the cam, if you don't know the spec, chances are its not quite right. (It could have even have less lift or duration than the standard TU24, as that was quite a hot cam for a production engine!)

I think you are probably doing the right thing in getting a company with a good reputation to sort the head out for you. If you can't work out the cam specs, maybe find a reputable company (CatCams?) that will sort you out a profile that will suit the engine.

All kents cams (about 10.4mm if I remember rightly) lift lower then the standard TU24 cam, which is supposed to be 10.8mm and more then enough for this engine. According to Catcams they based their group N cam on the TU24 cam.

The TU24 head is very good out of the box and has a very good flow, even though sometimes the casting and cutting is not perfect. In fact it is easier to make the flow go down then it is for increase it, but it is of course possible. Something like 15% is achieveable

I have heard that you can bring the 1360 up to 1400 which can be useful..Was an article in retro cars donkeys years ago about that..Whether you would want to is another issue fo course..

Sign in to follow this