• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

The Great Mi16 Wiring Quiz

eob

When I got my Mi16 it was largely in pieces due to the fact that it had been in a serious crash, then dumped at the bottom of a field where various boy racers scavanged it for parts. They weren't too careful about how the loom was damaged while they were scavanging either so it's a bit damaged in places. I can identify all the obvious stuff (TPS, MAF, SAD, ECU etc) but a lot of them are hard to figure...

Any ideas?

1. White and Green Connectors Near The ECU

I sincerely doubt these actually do anything but it's worth asking. No numbers on the green one, the white one is marked '1'. I've a feeling these are even redundant on the Jetronic loom.

1.jpg

2. Single Medium Thickness White Wire From The Same Place As The Relays

On Mine This Is Stripped? No Numbers. It's about a medium thickness?

2.jpg

3. Single White Spade / Twin 'Clip On' Connector With Yellow/Blue Wires

The single white is numbered '12' while the yellow/blue clip on connector isn't numbered.

3.jpg

4. Brown And Blue WIres Just Down From The Relays

THe blue wire is finished with a spade and an orange sheath and what looks like the number '30', could be twenty, the brown one is terminated with a spade covered in a yellow sheath. Bizarrely, this one has been cut into, and the wire spliced in goes all the way to the other end of the loom.

4.jpg

5. Single Black 3-Pin Snap On Connector

This is very similar to the TPS connector, but isn't the TPS Connector. Any ideas?

5.jpg

Edited by eob

eob

6. Single 4-Pin Brown MultiSpade Connector With A Rubber Sheath

Unusual One This. This is very similar to the one that went to the coil on my old XS and ran the rev counter. Bad photograph this, may have to retake it.

6.jpg

7. Single Red Thick 'Power' Wire Coming From The Loom

This is the strangest one on the entire loom. It's this single thick red 'power' wire, un numbered, and it's connected quite close to the 4-pin connector above (6). This single red wire trails off and joins into a whole big section of loom that I could cut off and throw away, really, because it only appears to be joined into the loom in two places, one is the big thick red wire, the other is a single brown wire (4) which is spliced into a connector near the ECU (see above)

7.jpg

Onto the next loom fork. This contains all the connections that go to the thermostat housing, including the blue engine temp sensor for the ecu.

8. Red And Green Spades

I know exactly where these two go. They go to the two temp sensors on the thermostat, the question is, which goes to which? :D There's also a single large 'ring' connector that I'm 99% sure is an earth that bolts to either the body, or the engine?

8.jpg

9. Three Pin Connector + Single Red Ring

Afaik, the red ring is the oil temp sensor on the sump, but the three pin spade connector is a mystery. It actually only has two black wires going to it with one of the spade slots empty. I'm guessing temp or reverse sensor?

9.jpg

10. 5-Pin Snap On Connector + Two Pin Yellow Connector

The yellow pin connector is a weird design, I know I recognise it from somewhere but... where? :D

10.jpg

11. Last But Not Least :unsure: The Blue / Green Male Spade

This is up near the black/brown multiplugs, what is it? :) It's unusual because it's actually got male spades, not female. No numbers either! :)

11.jpg

I apologise for number of images but if the admins could ignore it this once that'd be brilliant :) I've zipped the images down to titchy sizes so they load fast even on a modem :)

Edited by eob

eob

Solved:

5. Crank Position Sensor

10. Reverse Light Switch Is The Yellow Plug (Don't Know What The Second 5-Pin Plug Is)

Miles

1. Not used

2. Fuel Pump feed, should come from the fuse holder by the relays

3. Not used

4, 7 & 8, Sensor Wires

5. TDC as said, should be in a shielded cable

6. Looks like the coil connector

9. Oil Level Connector, Single one is the temp as it's still got the remains of it there

10. AFM

11. Starter connector

Loom is from a 405 Phase 1 of around 88/89 :unsure:

KRISKARRERA
1. Not used
What would they be for if they were used?

eob

Do you happen to know for what sensor are 7&8 used for?

eob
Loom is from a 405 Phase 1 of around 88/89

Is that a good or a bad thing? :)

Miles, I cannot thank you enough. Loom isn't really in very bad condition. Few nicked wires where they snagged on jagged metal in the crash. Bit of surface corrosion from lying around. Nothing really catastrophic.

Have been studying the various how to, wiring guides, and tutorials for plumbing it into my 205 and picked up a BX16v 2-Row ECU off EBay so, fingers crossed, I'll have a chance at getting it going :unsure:

Miles

8 is the water temp wire's and 7 are the oil low warning and the Brown is the Alt warning light, I must admit I'm not up on the colours as I make new sensor looms myself and wire them accordinly

pugman211

is it definately 2 row???? My loom is the same as yours, but 3 row. and Miles is right about the wire numbers. If you are gonna wire it into a 205, i'd either send it to Miles to convert to plug and play, or look up Mi16 wiring conversion wiring - there are plenty of examples of what to do.

I used Andy - R's website and both 309 and 405 Haynes manuals (in my case) only had to join about 10 wires and the only one i cant sort out is the low level coolant light!

eob

I've done this kind of stuff before (plumbed a tuned 1.4 8v multipoint with Motronic 3.1 into an '88 XS :() but there's so many serious experts on here that they're worth consulting before you do anything silly. I've downloaded a tonne of info on the wiring conversion, so I intend taking my time on converting it over and double checking everything with the (many) experts here.

Coincidentally, does anyone make up converter looms and at what price?

eob

Greetings all. Just finished soldering and heat-shrinking the Mi16 loom anywhere it was cut or damaged. I've finally figured out what he's done. He just cut the loom wherever was most accessible to power up various things. For example, to add + power, he just spliced a wire into the + on the coil, to power the fuel pump he just cut the fuel pump wire (!) and just spliced it off, instead of going the multiplug route.

Fortunately, the multiplug is still attached so I'm going to endeavour to actually wire up the engine on the ground or in an old diesel shell just to get it going.

Peace.

Eamonn

Sign in to follow this