• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Material For Solid Rear Beam Mounts

ifcho

Hi,

I'm working on my rear beam and I was looking at the solid rear beam mounts:

rearbeammounts2.jpg

They look pretty easy to be made as I have access to a lathe. However I was wondering what the materials would be?

The white plastic bushes appear to be nylon or Teflon (PTFE)? Are Teflon bushes suitable for that place, as I have some around :lol:

And the aluminum, there are different grades of aluminum, but which one is suitable for this place?

Rippthrough
Hi,

I'm working on my rear beam and I was looking at the solid rear beam mounts:

rearbeammounts2.jpg

They look pretty easy to be made as I have access to a lathe. However I was wondering what the materials would be?

The white plastic bushes appear to be nylon or Teflon (PTFE)? Are Teflon bushes suitable for that place, as I have some around :lol:

And the aluminum, there are different grades of aluminum, but which one is suitable for this place?

Nylon looking at 'em, even filled PTFE would be far too soft.

6082 T6 would do fine for the ally, in fact it's probably overkill.

Edited by Rippthrough

petert

I use black nylon. Don't make them like that though. Add a 19mm OD crush tube so the load is distributed better on the nylon. Any aluminium will do.

ifcho

Hi,

After doing some search I found a company that can sell me rods from which I can make the bushes.

However they have quite a big range of plastics and I'm not very sure what I should choose. Should it be just PA 6.6 (nylon) or some other stuff?

I was thinking of a material called Nylatron GSM (PA6 + MoS2) (it's used for verniers on cranes, tooth wheels, and other stuff) but I think this might be an overkill.

Ahl

Normal 6.6 Nylon should be fine.

I did the same thing, bought in some rod and turned the bushes. I'm sure I checked and found the OE bushes to be bog standard nylon, though I can't remember how.

Hilgie

The OE bushes are just plain rubber....

Ahl

Sorry, not OE, I mean the *official* grp A mounts were bog standard nylon!

ifcho

Well thanks, I guess I'll just go and buy some Eptalon 66 SA, which is PA66 (as far as I know Nylon is a trademark of Dupon, and other companies producing PA66 call it with some other freaky :unsure: names ). And it might be cheaper actually, the Nylatron GSM was 35E for a 50mm, meter long rod.

Rippthrough
Well thanks, I guess I'll just go and buy some Eptalon 66 SA, which is PA66 (as far as I know Nylon is a trademark of Dupon, and other companies producing PA66 call it with some other freaky :unsure: names ). And it might be cheaper actually, the Nylatron GSM was 35E for a 50mm, meter long rod.

The nylatron is self lubricating, designed for use where it will encounter movement - you don't really need it.

ifcho

Well I bought a rod of Nylatron GS (they had a 40cm rod of this and I took it, it was the same price as the eptalon). I also bought a rod of aluminum - 50mm in diameter.

Here is the result:

STA50985.JPG

STA50990.JPG

I made the aluminum spacers 35mm tall, I don't know what the exact size should be but i measured one of the rubber bushes on my cabrio and it was approximately 35mm.

If somebody wants the dimensions of the other bushes, let me know and I'll put them here.

I also used the metal sleeves from the rubber bushes:

STA50992.JPG

Edited by ifcho

petert

Good work. I put the crush tube all the way through though.

post-2864-1194069606.jpg

post-2864-1194069616.jpg

ifcho

I fitted them and they fitted fine.

However I'm not sure about the bending of the rear beam support arm.

Won't this cause premature failure of the shocks, or its bushes will be able to cope with the slight twist in the direction?

jackherer
However I'm not sure about the bending of the rear beam support arm.

Won't this cause premature failure of the shocks, or its bushes will be able to cope with the slight twist in the direction?

Its never been posted as an issue until this post from a day or two ago - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=82199

ifcho

Yeah, I saw this after I posted here.

Worth putting this in the checklist before each event :lol:

Sign in to follow this