• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Oil Pressure & Water Leak

Pob

Hi all,

I posted a reply yesterday but due to server upgrades/issues my post was lost, so i'll ask again

According to the gauge on the dash the oil pressure is a little low. When cold or warm it sits around 2-3, it doesn't change with Rev's either... Could this be the pressure switch playing up (Is it the big round one?) or could the pump be on its way out? The pressure light goes out straight away.

Scrap the water leak question, its not relevant in this section :)

Many Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

jim21070

Hi Dan,

The oil pressure sender is well known for being a very poor and a very unreliable device in which no faith can be placed whatsoever. A low and unvarying reading is pretty normal for a failed sender.

Replacement is the only solution but they are very expensive new and almost impossible to obtain second-hand.

If all seems OK with the engine, chances are the oil pressure is OK. If you remain concerned, stick a temporary mechanical gauge on or get pally with a fellow GTI owner who has a fairly good sender and swap it over on a temporary basis.

Basically, if the oil lamp goes out immediately and never comes on during hot idle and the engine appears healthy in all respects. Worry not.

Pob

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I went to the motor factors today and enquired about a new sender. They quoted me £18, a mate of mine told me they were very expensive aswell, so i'm not sure if it was the right one.. I looked like the correct one, big and round with screw in thread one side and electrical connector the other.

Many Thanks,

Dan

Duroc

That sounds right. It should be mushroom shaped. Last time I checked, one from a dealer was over £60.

pugman211

yep!!! i just bought one a few months ago for £55!!!! And they have plastic covers now.

CaptainK

I have the same problem with mine reading VERY low. Its been like that for all the years I've had it (6+). If it is just a new sender needed then I may well get one.

Do you know if it'll work with an aftermarket sender? I might have a spare one from another gauge kit (don't worry about fitted the sender - I'll put it on an adaptor with the oil filter). Just wondered if it would be "electrically compatible" with the Pug gauge ?

Pob
I have the same problem with mine reading VERY low. Its been like that for all the years I've had it (6+). If it is just a new sender needed then I may well get one.

Do you know if it'll work with an aftermarket sender? I might have a spare one from another gauge kit (don't worry about fitted the sender - I'll put it on an adaptor with the oil filter). Just wondered if it would be "electrically compatible" with the Pug gauge ?

Hi all,

I fitted a new oil pressure sender today, I checked the gauge by earthing it and it went upto the last white bar. The Gauge goes up higher than before, when cold around 3 bars, Running 2.5, idle when hot 1... Which isn't right is it? At what point does the oil warning light come on?

The new sender cost £20 inc Vat, Intermotor 53800

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

Sign in to follow this