• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Lower Arms On Xs

GazRallye

I changed the lower arms on my XS about 6 months ago, when I did it I couldn't get the big washers that sit either side of the arm to sit right when I did it, but they were torqued up and it seemed ok. Now there is a lot of play in the ARB bushes, the ball joint and inner bush seem ok.

They were only £37 for the pair, from my local factors, cant remember the make but I suppose you get what you pay for, cheap rubbish!

Should I have a hunt for some Motaquip ones (nearest Motaquip factors is about 20 miles away in Keighley), which a few people recommend or are poly ones worth the cost, I've heard good and bad things about them.

Motaquip want £70 each on their site on the net, but i'll ring my nearest factors up tomorrow and get a price.

TurboSam

my motaquip one was around £15+vat a side

welshpug

£23 from GSF, they do the bushes too.

GazRallye

Whats the quality like on the GSF stuff? I don't want to be changing them in another 6 months. I thought GSf can be a bit hit and miss tbh

welshpug

well the GTi lower arms are good, IIRC they were Febi Bilstein or lemforder, both O.E suppliers, theyve been on for 10k miles and are still fine.

so as long as they're of a reputable brand I'd go GSF.

Jrod

I posted yesterday but must of got deleted.

Ti bushes are £16.04 for ARB and £15.86 for TCA according to the recipet from a few days ago, Those are +vat. :)

GazRallye

Yeah I noticed the posts got deleted! Then I saw there'd been a database error, all posts, PM etc from yesterday had gone.

Just tried TI motorsport, but the answerphone says theyre away on rally duties this weekend.

smokinslim - You had these long, I'm wondering what the longevity on them is like?

Jrod - Is that per pair or each?

Edited by GazRallye

Jrod

Pair. :)

Guest smokinslim

a few years now and they've stood up to plenty of rough treatment

Jrod

Good to hear.

To be honest they are designed for rallying so they should last fine for road use. :lol:

Guest smokinslim

Forgot to mention, when i ordered mine the guy at TI said that theirs lasted a couple of seasons at least.

GazRallye

Just ordered myself some of these, paid £37 in total + £4.50 to post

Jrod

Now you have the fun bit of fitting them... :unsure:

GazRallye

Haha, well they said they'll photocopy some instructions, and with the aid of a big hammer and chisel, or hacksaw, maybe even a little early bonfire, can't be too hard... can it? :unsure:

Jrod

They are a c*nt to get out, New ones go in easy though. :)

Fitted mine tonight, got a mate to take the arms to work and press / chisel the bushes out for me. :unsure:

Guest smokinslim

I broke council spec paving slabs trying to hammer my old bushes out! After much big hammer abuse and cursing i found its much easier to drill through centre metal ring in the bush then it practically drops out, a la piccy below...

e1023.jpg

this is what you get in the TI bush kit by the way...

e1005.jpg

GazRallye

And here they are fitted, got my local garage to press them in for me and fit new boots over the ball joints as they had torn.

Wasn't so hard to get them in place, bit of grease and some lump hammer persuasion was all it needed, I even torqued the inner joint up when the car was back on its wheels, which wasn't too comfy, thank god the cars not lowered or it would have been even more of a pig!

Haven't actually driven it yet

22102007797.jpg

23102007799.jpg

New screen tomorrow, courtesy of endsleigh, then MOT on thursday, wish me luck!

Jrod

Looking good.

You don't need to do them up when its on it's wheels though, the inner part of the bush acts as a bearing on polybushes so there is no need. ;)

GazRallye

I had read that somewhere, but I wanted to be sure, plus I like to make life hard for myself, thats why I own a 205!

Just been out and it feels precise, none of that vagueness you can get where you have to turn the steering wheel 45 degrees before anything happens, you turn it 2 degrees and the wheels respond. ;) Tight.

Guest smokinslim

These bushes can be fitted by finger pressure alone, its jus getting the originals out thats a b*tch.

GazRallye

They also expose other weaknesses in the suspension, bit of a nightmare on bumpy roads because I think my shocks could probably do with being replaced, front end is bouncy as hell!

Jrod

I fitted challenge spec billies at the same time so I wouldn't know. B)

Sign in to follow this