• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

New Owner

Ethos

Hi guys,

I flushed the coolant on Sunday and there was a bit of mayo in the coolant, also a bit of oil. There's no smoke when revving to the redline, and the performance is fine so I'm hoping the head gasket is fine (little bit worried about it though).

Also it has remote central locking but apparently you can get the keyfobs made up anymore for it, is this true?

The windscreen washer isn't coming out so I'm going to see if the motor is still working later on.

The idle is rough and it can stall when just started up, I've heard this is normal- but was wondering if there's anything to do to help this? Also sometimes I just hear a "click" and nothing happens, after trying 2-3 times it starts up no problem.

Also it has a scorpian back box with pops and is fairly noisy, it's pretty new but I also have the original... not sure if the original might perform better.

I think i'm going to give it to a mechanic friend to give it a really good once over as my knowledge is limited.

Overall it's real clean and fine to drive!

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/gti1.jpg

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/gti2.jpg

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/gti3.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Ethos

Rob_the_Sparky

1) Mayo in the oil filler is normal but not in the coolant. Suspect head gasket but it is unusual for them to fail oil to water so maybe oil cooler failure (although AFAIK 1.6s don't usually have an oil cooler!)

2) No idea on the central locking (mine are early cars without this)

3) Press button and listen, you will hear if the motor is working or not (may have to do it with engine off but often audible with it running)

4) Do a search on idle and starter problems. Both are common and fixable with some peserverance.

5) After market exhausts are generally only useful for noise and rust resistance

Rob

Ethos
1) Mayo in the oil filler is normal but not in the coolant. Suspect head gasket but it is unusual for them to fail oil to water so maybe oil cooler failure (although AFAIK 1.6s don't usually have an oil cooler!)

2) No idea on the central locking (mine are early cars without this)

3) Press button and listen, you will hear if the motor is working or not (may have to do it with engine off but often audible with it running)

4) Do a search on idle and starter problems. Both are common and fixable with some peserverance.

5) After market exhausts are generally only useful for noise and rust resistance

Rob

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there anything else I could do to check for headgasket failure?

I will do the rest later :)

Ryan

Sadly the central locking isn't like newer cars where you can just buy a new job and reprogram it. The fob(s) and the receiver unit are built as a matching set, and you can't change one without the other.

The only other option is to give Peugeot the code number on the receiver and they will make a new fob to match it, but it's not cheap - about £70-80. :)

Rob_the_Sparky
Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there anything else I could do to check for headgasket failure?

I will do the rest later :D

Do a compression or leak down test. However I doubt it is this as HG failures on 205s are almost always water to piston, not oil to water.

Ethos
Do a compression or leak down test. However I doubt it is this as HG failures on 205s are almost always water to piston, not oil to water.

What sort of price is a compression / leak test and what sort of garage could do it? If it's not too much i'll book it in, trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Fingers crossed it isn't HG, she's running fine but want to be sure.

Thanks for the quick replies!

BackStreetRacecars

only do this when cold,or after you have released the pressure form the coolant system if hot.Take the coolant filler cap off then start the car... give it a good rev, If the gasket is gone... (well gone) The coolant shall try and escape out the header tank this will show that the engine is pressurizing the coolant system indicating gasket failure.Also look into the fact that the liner seals may be ont their way out... you can also get a gas test for the coolant which shows if there are coimbustion gases from the cylinders getting into the coolant. Possibly a previous owner has filled the coolant up with oil?? (had alot of van drivers and truckers do that at my old work)... hope this helps!!

Ethos
only do this when cold,or after you have released the pressure form the coolant system if hot.Take the coolant filler cap off then start the car... give it a good rev, If the gasket is gone... (well gone) The coolant shall try and escape out the header tank this will show that the engine is pressurizing the coolant system indicating gasket failure.Also look into the fact that the liner seals may be ont their way out... you can also get a gas test for the coolant which shows if there are coimbustion gases from the cylinders getting into the coolant. Possibly a previous owner has filled the coolant up with oil?? (had alot of van drivers and truckers do that at my old work)... hope this helps!!

Thanks mate.

A friend has got a compression tester! So going to run that over the four spark plugs (and change them) tomorrow.

This is def show if the engine is ok yea?!

Any danger in doing this? Do you just put the tester in one of the spark plugs... turn the engine over for 10 seconds or so and turn off. Then repeat for the other plugs? :D

petesy71
Thanks mate.

A friend has got a compression tester! So going to run that over the four spark plugs (and change them) tomorrow.

This is def show if the engine is ok yea?!

Any danger in doing this? Do you just put the tester in one of the spark plugs... turn the engine over for 10 seconds or so and turn off. Then repeat for the other plugs? :D

there's some info in this post,

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=34670&hl=

do the test when the engines warm and remove the far right fuse from the fuse box to disable the fuel.

Sign in to follow this