• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kyler000

Rear Wheel Rubbing?

Guest kyler000

Hi there. I had bought an 88 1.9 gti from my boss. He went to tow her home for me from newcastle and realised that one of the rear tyres was rubbing of the car body. Im not sure if is was the inner arch side or the quarter panel, think it was the inner part of the wheel rubbin of the arch. The car was ok six months ago and never moved.

Could someone tell me what could have happened,would it be the rear beam mounts or a wheel bearing causing this or is the back end knackered?

pug_ham

Quick assumption, the rear beam is dead & you need a replacement one.

Common fault on older cars, especially if they have been stood.

Graham.

jonnie205

if tyres are fully inflated then it looks like a rear beam refurbishment is required

Emmy Seize

Well, doesn´t have to be that bad.

As stated before, make sure the tyres are inflated properly.

Check tyre size as well - some 195 50 15 tend to rub the inner arch even with an ok rear axle.

I converted on of my cars back to original 185 55 15 size lately and was shocked to see rub-marks on the body.

The rear beam turned out to be in pretty good nick, it´s just that there was VERY little clearance between body and tyres on both sides.

danpug

Was it on the drivers side by any chance? Thats where the fuel pipe is and that can get rubbed by lowered cars with no bumpstops, can't see any reason why a really shagged beam couldn't do the same.

Guest kyler000

Thanks for all your replies. I was talking to the mechanic who is storing her for me this morning. It turns out it was the rear shocker seized and was pulling the car down at the rear every time she hit a bump on the road. I dont know what all the fuss was about the inside wall of the tyre,my boss goes slightly ott. Cheers

Sign in to follow this