• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Quick Seized Beam Question

M_R_205

the rear beam on my xs is seized on the drives side and iv tryed a few cowboyish ways to free it off for instance attacking it with plus gass and bouncing the back of the car as much as possible lol, bassicaly i need it to pass the mot on thursday so i can take my gti off the road, once the gti is off the road i will simply fit the good beam off that, any other ideas for releasing it that dont involve stripping?, bearing in mind when its passed the m.o.t the beam will be scraped....

cheers

Paul

max0
the rear beam on my xs is seized on the drives side and iv tryed a few cowboyish ways to free it off for instance attacking it with plus gass and bouncing the back of the car as much as possible lol, bassicaly i need it to pass the mot on thursday so i can take my gti off the road, once the gti is off the road i will simply fit the good beam off that, any other ideas for releasing it that dont involve stripping?, bearing in mind when its passed the m.o.t the beam will be scraped....

cheers

Paul

There isnt a easy fix, id swap the gti one over. Its only 6 bolts and your brake pipes/handbrake cables. few hours work and it will be done

pacey205

I drilled some holes in the beam tube, attached some grease nipples, filled the beam up with grease and moved the arm about until it freed off. Went from being basically solid to nice free movement, more than enough to pass the MOT anyway. Incidentally its been like that for a year or so until I get round to fitting my 309 beam :) and I havent had any problems with it at all.

HTH

Michael

Edited by pacey205

M_R_205
I drilled some holes in the beam tube, attached some grease nipples, filled the beam up with grease and moved the arm about until it freed off. Went from being basically solid to nice free movement, more than enough to pass the MOT anyway. Incidentally its been like that for a year or so until I get round to fitting my 309 beam :) and I havent had any problems with it at all.

HTH

Michael

how did you free the beam up to start with? the only reason im not swaping the the beam b4 the mot is i need the gti as a daily driver/comuteing car and i cant realy do with out it, plus if it fails im gona be stuck with 2 cars that dont work and no way of getting spares

pacey205

I just forced the trailing arm up and down repeatedly with a jack from memory, it needed the grease to work in before it properly freed off though.

Michael

Miles

Stick the handbrake on and go from 1st and reverse a few times, If that doesn't do it, nothing will

M_R_205
I just forced the trailing arm up and down repeatedly with a jack from memory, it needed the grease to work in before it properly freed off though.

Michael

cool il give that a try tomorrow then thanks!! il put a load of releasing fluid in too that should help it along too :)

M_R_205
Stick the handbrake on and go from 1st and reverse a few times, If that doesn't do it, nothing will

good one, never thought of that either, my mate sugested erliar to fill the boot with heavy s*it and take it for a blast up some un-eaven/dirt roads lol, i think the first/reverse idea will do less damage though!!

Spiky
good one, never thought of that either, my mate sugested erliar to fill the boot with heavy s*it and take it for a blast up some un-eaven/dirt roads lol, i think the first/reverse idea will do less damage though!!

IF you do that, watch you dont bottom out on it

pug_ham
my mate sugested erliar to fill the boot with heavy s*it and take it for a blast up some un-eaven/dirt roads lol, i think the first/reverse idea will do less damage though!!

Definately less risk, with a badly seized rear beam taking it for a blast up an un-even rough lane could see it spitting you into a tree or wall due to the lack of movement.

Graham.

M_R_205

well i spent 4 hours today trying to free it off with zero luck, first ff i drilled a couplke holes and sprayed tones of plus gas in, i then re fitted the wheel and the the whole foward reverse thing, nothing, gave it loads of heat a few got smacks with a bloody great hammer, and tryed the foward reverse thing again, no luck, so any more ideas welcom, or if you have a spare beam of anxs or base model car id be interested in a pm (add in wanted section also)

Sign in to follow this