• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Furiousd

New Brake Pads

Furiousd

Hi

I need some new brake pads, I think just the fronts but need to check as i've not fitted any since I got the car in January (Heard a kind of metal on metal scraping sound on my way to work)

Can anyone please post me a link for a decent online seller so I can get some before the weekend?

Also is their a particular brand thats better than another?

Cheers

Chris

joelpsmith

Try here http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

As far as road use goes i think any of the pads on sale here will be up to the job, although by the sounds of things you're going to need new discs too.

pug_ham

For a 1.9 GTi you will need pads for a Girling caliper unless your car was originally a 1.6 GTi which has Bendix pads.

Graham.

Furiousd

Thanks for the replies.

It turns out to be the back left disc/pad that is gone. All the others are low but this one is down to metal on metal. Is it normal for one pad to wear sooner than the others?

Ta

Furiousd

Just been quoted £60 for the rear discs :) Could I get away with just doing the pads?

Furiousd

Also, can I check will dot4 brake fluid be ok to use?

pug_ham
Just been quoted £60 for the rear discs :) Could I get away with just doing the pads?

Is £60 for both discs & pads fitted?

Discs are only about £15 each for the back on 205's but if the pads have been down to the metal its best to replace the discs as well because the brake surface could be damaged.

Rear disc brakes are Bendix by the way.

Fluid 4 should be fine but it might be wise to flush the system with all new fluid anyway.

Graham.

Furiousd
Is £60 for both discs & pads fitted?

£60 was for rear discs only, Pads were another £22 from motorworld in Wakey. Sounded a lot to me. I'd rather pick some this week as I've been offered some help to fit them on Sat. I'll shop around and try and get a better price.

Discs are only about £15 each for the back on 205's but if the pads have been down to the metal its best to replace the discs as well because the brake surface could be damaged.

It's definately scraped away at the surface a bit, presumably this would cause new pads to wear quickly if not replaced.

pug_ham

£60 for rear discs is abit steep imo, they shouldn't take more than an hour to do so save yourself £30 & DIY.

Nerw rear pads are about £15 from GSf & maybe less from a adecent motor factors for Bendix ones.

If the pad has gone down to the backing plate material I'd replace the discs just as a matter of course. It depends how long it was used like that for how badly the disc surface has been damaged & when the discs were last replaced anyway.

Graham.

Furiousd

I've ordered the rear discs and pads from GSF for a total of £55 including vat and delivery and they arrived overnight.

I'll be fitting them on Saturday. Has anyone done a guide to fitting them on hear? I've got a haynes but just wondered if there were any specific hints or tips.

When you say it would be worthwhile flushing the fluid with new, what benefit does this give? and how much fluid will I need to buy to fill?

Cheers

pug_ham

Do you know how old the fluid in your car is? If the answer is no then for the sake of a copule of quid for some new fluid you might as well replace it. It absorbs moisture & should be replaced every two years but not many people do.

The only thing that can throw people off is reseating the rear caliper piston, it doesn't just push back into the caliper body like on the front brakes, you have to wind it in & set the piston at a specific place for the pad locating guide to slot into. (there is a smalll lump on the back of the pad).

This is all in the Haynes manual anyway though.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this