• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

Just Fitted Coilovers,advice Needed Now!

sussex_gti

Just fitted gaz coilovers, and are 100% better than the knackered shocks and springs i had before. The only thing ive found is the car tends to 'skip' round corners at high speed. I have yokohama parada spec 2's fitted. Do i need to just play with the settings? The only thing i've noticed is that even when wound almost right down, the car doesnt seem low at all. Could i have to stiff a springs fitted?

All Praise The GTI

im not familiar with those but if its skipping about id say they are set too hard mate

RossD

Any stiffer than about 185lb's on the front (If the rest of the suspension is standard) and it will be as you describe and quite understeery.

Edited by RossD

sussex_gti

there is writing on top of one of the springs with the numbers 225, im guessing this could be the lb's of the spring? im using matching gaz shocks on the back,although everything else is stock.

Banjo

I had this with mine, Gaz supplyed me 225 lb springs and they were just too hard for road use, also the droplink bracket is in the way of you lowering it loads, softer springs will help tho and are cheap. Group N top mounts also cheap and well worth it!

Ben

Edited by Banjo

kyepan

Gaz supplied 250lbs 8 inch springs with mine, they were too short and didn't have enough travel so they crashed over bigger bumps. They also skipped when cornering hard on smooth surfaces. boing boing boing boing.

as previously mentioned softer springs solved it, I bought some 10 inch 200lbs springs, these are better as they have more travel and dont skip. they were also bloody cheap.

However, what i've finally come to understand is that stiffening the front doesn't really make the car very nice to drive, we should be getting thicker torsion bars at the rear to ballance any stiffening done to the front of the car.

gerry

my dimma 205 gti 1.9 is rock hard at the rear!!! helps the handling but bounces about compared to my 1.6gti which is nice and soft compared :):)

although i had those parados spec 2,s on my sti type r v3 and they were really really rubbish, they would lose grip big time in the wet although i was sending 340bhp thru em i would never evere use them again i changed to proxies and could'nt believe the differance B);)

hope thnis helps in some way???

sussex_gti

I really cant fault the tyres! As you say, they arn't great in the wet, but i tend to wear my sensible cap in the wet. I think softer springs it is, took it a little lower and softened the front shocks today, is much better. But bumpy as hell! Wheres the best place for springs? Directly from Gaz?

RossD
I really cant fault the tyres! As you say, they arn't great in the wet, but i tend to wear my sensible cap in the wet. I think softer springs it is, took it a little lower and softened the front shocks today, is much better. But bumpy as hell! Wheres the best place for springs? Directly from Gaz?

Try Faulkner for springs

Sign in to follow this