• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ross009

2.0 16v Out Of A 306 Xsi

ross009

Ive bin offered a 2.0 16v engine out of a 306 xsi for a good price and its low mileage but i didnt even realise the did a 16v xsi so am i right in thinking this will be the 135 bhp xu10j4r engine? is it worth putting this engine in my 205? i think i read somewhere its the same bottom end as the gti6 engine so if you get a gti6 complete head and inlet manifold it gets you up to somewhere near the 160 bhp they come with? also will i be able to use my 1.6 gti gearbox with this engine? whats the wiring like to put these engines in? any other specific things that need doin to get them in a 205? any advice on this would be great tks

Edited by ross009

Grim.Badger

The 2.0 16v engine from the XSi is the S16 engine and although not identicle to the GTi6 bottom end the heads are apparently swappable. Be careful though as there was also the 1.8 16v engine fitted to the XSi which is the 135bhp engine and although torquey it requires a lot more work to get to higher bhp.

You should be fine with the 1.6 gearbox but it may be a bit short (depends on your useage really). I don't know about the wiring but plenty has been written about the S16.

Revla
The 2.0 16v engine from the XSi is the S16 engine and although not identicle to the GTi6 bottom end the heads are apparently swappable. Be careful though as there was also the 1.8 16v engine fitted to the XSi which is the 135bhp engine and although torquey it requires a lot more work to get to higher bhp.

You should be fine with the 1.6 gearbox but it may be a bit short (depends on your useage really). I don't know about the wiring but plenty has been written about the S16.

Not strictly true......

http://www.pug306.net/info.php?s=petrol

HTH

Trev

ross009

ok cheers guys im pretty sure it is a 2.0 and not a 1.8 so may be worth a purhase!

ross009

would fitting this engine be the same as fitting a gti engine? same master cylinder clearence problems etc? tks

gti_al

I would imagine so. I had a look at a 205 with one of these engines the other day, and despite having the camera in my pocket i didn't get a pic. The inlet fitted though, and the exhaust looked pretty easy to sort too.

Grim.Badger
Not strictly true......

http://www.pug306.net/info.php?s=petrol

HTH

Trev

Hmm, cheers, I didn't know there was another 2l 16v XU engine. What are the cosmetic defferences between them then? The S16 is easy to spot, or seems to be, becuase of the complex inlet manifold but for all I know this other one could be exactly the same.

welshpug

the XU10J4R (or RFV) has camcovers identical to the GTi6 (XU10J4RS/RFS), but a black plastic intake that tapers towatrds the front unlike the gti6 wherre the runners are straight and alluminium.

fitting is the same as fitting the GTi6, bar maybe the exhaust manifold, I cant remember who it is thats fitted one of these very recently on megasquirt.

this engine is found in the 406 as you said, and nearly all P2 and all P3 306 XSi's, its NOT the S16 engine which is the RFY same as the 2.0 Mi16.

earlier XSi's were 8v, i.e all P1's, earlyu XS's were 1.6 TU's, adn later ones were 1.8 16v XU7's.

definitely and engine worth using, a more modern unit that the old Mi's and no oil starvation/surge issues.

ross009

ive picked my engine up now just a quick question is the 306 rear mount the same as the 205 as ive bought a 306 top mount but dont have a 306 rear one im presuming i use the 205 gearbox mount as im using the 205 gearbox? cheers

welshpug

in a word, YES :)

ross009

cheers mate thought i was gonna have to rush round for a rear engine mount for a minute!!

Richie-Van-GTi

it is me that has one of these fitted on megasquirt, or at least it was on megasquirt. I used a gti6 exhaust manifold and had to drill a new hole on the lower mount fork about 1 inch further out so the manifold didnt knock against the bulkhead, then just hacked and rewelded a standard downpipe. Inlet side mine is on bodies so I cant comment on clearance here. The engine is quite tall in the engine bay and if you have an upper strutbrace Id suggest swapping to a small wasted spark coil from an AX or 2.0 8v engine and using leads, removal of the standard coil pack means moving the strut brace otherwise. The other coil pack plugs straight in though so not a massive headache to swap.

steve031286

Hello m8! the inlet manifold does touch the slam panel so you will have to cut it out slightly. youl need to cut a piece out for the oil breather hose aswell! just so you are aware youl need to remove the battery and put it somewhere else if you want your air filter to be in the bay. other wise it will dip down by the gearbox like mine! not good in the wet! as for exhaust manifold clearence youl find just enough but its very close to the gear linkages. The coil pack cover on the top needs to be cut just a little for the brake master cylinder. i have a 1.6 gearbox with a gti-6 and it is awesom youl be really pleased with the results. mine runs at about 180 tho cos had few bits done to the engine aswell. good luck m8! Steve

post-9333-1191689867_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve031286

ross009

ah top man cheers for the info ive got my engine now just waiting on a few bits before i start putting it in i might be contacting you in the future if encounter any probs hope you dont mind!!

steve031286
ah top man cheers for the info ive got my engine now just waiting on a few bits before i start putting it in i might be contacting you in the future if encounter any probs hope you dont mind!!

yeah no worries!

petert

I've just finished help doing the same conversion, XU10J4R into 205. You need a lower top engine mount but it otherwise fits fine. We tossed all the std. management away and fitted a Haltech E6X ecu. Gearbox is 1.9L gearset with 4.06 CWP and Quaife centre. The exhaust downpipe bolts straightup but the radiator needed moving forward slightly, though not as bad as a full length Mi16 inlet. Naturally it goes heaps better than the 8V ever did.

Edited by petert

Sign in to follow this