• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

1.6 To 1.9 Conversion

AdamVester

Ok this is my first post.. i was going to post this is a differnt part of the forum but i have a question in the engine conversion i done.. this seams the most apropriate for it.

I brought by 205 GTI a while back from a mate its a Topaz blue and was running a 1.6, but the o-rings were gone in it aswell as the crank gasket and a few other things. i figuerd it would be cheaper to just change the engine.. so i found a engine but it was a 1.9 in a 205 auto (105bhp vershion) the car only had 30k on the clock.. so brought the engine changed the head on it for the older type head to get the most HP out of the engine.. me a group of friends then put this engine in the topaz blue 205 i own..

here is a video of conversion and it starting:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bhoIR8akhi8

anyways all went well and its running good no leaks or knocks or anything its mint.. but 1 problem the fule bill... im still running the 1.6 gearbox (this is something i dont want to change) i am also running it with the 1.6 ECU and airflow as these wernt changed. i am woundering what else could cause this engine to overfule to much im running about 10 - 15 mpg and its draining on the pocket.

oh yeah 2 more things... HI EVERYONE!!!

Here are some pictures of my car while im here.. (its had a few more changes since these pictures i will update them when i cam get the pics of the camera.)

http://www.another-site.net/adam/car2/Cars/PICT0635.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/car2/Cars/PICT0634.JPG

damo

hi mate, whats the piper cross filter thing on the engine ? Inlet manifold area.

gerry

are you getting loads of black smoke when you rev it???

AdamVester

none at all.. i was with the old engine it was fooked.. oil was leaking from everyware the o-rings were buggerd and pistons didnt look to good iver.. but the new engine only had 30k on the clock and was out of genery the 1.9 auto.. i changed the head on the engine with a normal 1.9 head from an older model so in theory creating a powerfuller engine that the 105bhp engine it was... changed every single gasket on the engine the sump and a few other bits here and there were renewed or cleaned up befor putting back together.. all in all its a very very tidy engine in the car atm cant wait to get it on the rollers see what its kicking out.

but yeah the old engine did smoke when it was reved and it only started to smoke after i drove it about 50mph and then decreased in speed it would smoke for like 2mile then and all of a sudden stope but it was blue smoke not black meaning the oil was being burnt up.. massive clounds so bad i couldnt drive it legally anyone behind me wouldnt have been able to see :angry:..

forgot to add i now changed the ECU and Airflow for the 1.9 one and its ideling fine and stuff.

Edited by AdamVester

Redtop

Hi. What injectors are you running? Colour? yellow[1.9]/blue[1.6]. I know I was told never to mix up the fuelling system of the 1.6 and 1.9 versions. If you are now running the 1.9 ecu and afm then you should also have the yellow injectors and this should run correctly, and then some fine adjustment with a co tester to get the emissons correct. Someone correct me if im wrong?

AdamVester

the injectors were changed to the yellow ones when we did it :rolleyes: already herd about that issue.. the only remaining thing to do with the convershion is stronger drive shafts and i want to do a big disc convershion and put a 309 rear beam on her.. as for that pipcross filter that was fitted to stop the oil going though the hose into the inlet and burning.. taking that hose of stopped the smoke by stopping the oil being burnt up.. it was kind of a temp bodge job.. i did ram a scowering pad (kitchen pad) down the hose and left it disconnected for a while but the filter worked better :angry:

Pugnut

you're cambelt sounds very tight . hows it running ? it should be pull like a train with the 1.6 gearbox ? hows the ingition timing also?

AdamVester

yep it is when we changed the engine we swapped the head for an older one from a 1.9 to give it more bhp the bottom end of the engine had the new style tenchener and we could not get the cambet on with it (tryed for 2hs)... we desided it would be best to take it off and add the old style one.. worked a treat but atm the belt is to tight just needs a sliught adjustment. and yep your correct the timing is very slightly out.. makes funny crackling noise's when reved in 3ed or 4th at 3k+... just needs a little adjustment also shouldnt be to hard to do.. we have accsess to an autodata book on cambelts so should tell us how to sort the problems out in there hopfully.. :)

Jrod
makes funny crackling noise's when reved in 3ed or 4th at 3k+

Pinking?

AdamVester

yep we think its the timing not totaly sure on it though? anything else that can cause it?

Sign in to follow this