• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest wingnut

Starter Motor Replacement

Guest wingnut

Anyone ever managed to replace the starter motor without removing the inlet manifold as appears to be the only choice? Got the 3 main bolts and the wiring connection off, but there's the p*ss irritating bracket on the block to get to and I can only get the bottom bolt undone. ;)

Any clues?

steve@cornwall
Anyone ever managed to replace the starter motor without removing the inlet manifold as appears to be the only choice? Got the 3 main bolts and the wiring connection off, but there's the p*ss irritating bracket on the block to get to and I can only get the bottom bolt undone. ;)

Any clues?

It can be done- but it's a lot quicker and easier on the skin of your forearms to just whip off the manifold. Hope the manifold hasn't got the stabiliser bracket still fitted, too!

Sod originality, chuck both brackets in the bin

pug_ham

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?act=Search&f=15

I've managed to change several starters without taking anything off except the starter.

everyone has their own thoughts on it but you can do it by just removing the throttle body if you want to remove anything.

Once you get it off, scrap the bracket on the back end so you do away with the two bolts into the block. Working from underneath you should be able to move the wiring & hose out of the way enough to get to the other bolt (assuming you got to the lower one).

Graham.

jeremy

Personally I always take the radiator off. I'm not saying people cannot do the job quicker whithout moving the inlet manifold etc etc, however there is no need for any new gaskets, and the access is great.

SamGTi

I can't see why anybody wouldn't just take the manifold off. It takes 10mins and a new gasket costs a couple of quid.

Henry Yorke

I did the one on my skip the other day without removing anything but the starter motor. I don't have any fan cowling, so i would wiggle stuff out of the way. I put an XU10 GTI6 one on which was a huge improvement as well as being smaller :)

welshpug

i've never taken owt off but the starter, I think being able to visualise what your hands are doing and feeling helps a lot :)

just jack the front up and work from underneath, off in 15 minutes :mellow: back on even quicker if its an XU10 unit.

gti_al

I got mine out the other day. Found it easist just to lift the radiator up slightly and drop it out the bottom. That is an mi16 too, and it wasn't that hard.

Bonzai

get throttle bodies, access is great then :) (ive swapped my starter motor 4 times in last 10 days or so lol)

Guest wingnut

Cheers for that chaps, unfortunately between not having any car to get around in and the server being less than reliable on the forum last week...I just whipped the bloody manifold off in the end. New gasket and some gasket red (I'm an ex-mini owner...I always seal up gaskets! :)) was only £9 so it felt like the right thing to do, as mentioned above, for the sake of skin on my knuckles and forearms.

I managed to get all bar the last small (surplus to requirements) stud nut off the motor before giving up and taking off the manifold. I've kept it all on there too, thinking I'm hopefully not having to go near it again anytime soon. Especially not as my bloody alternator gave up the challenge on Friday evening!! feck, ar$e, bollards...oh well. :)

Next step...figure out what's causing the slight wobble in the suspension and it's keeness to delve into ruts in the road...it never rains but it pours...

steve@cornwall
. I've kept it all on there too, thinking I'm hopefully not having to go near it again anytime soon.

Not thinking of keeping the car more than a couple of months, then :)

Rob_the_Sparky

One reason that there is no one answer on this is that it depends on what toys the car has fitted. With a manual steering rack and air/oil or no oil cooler and no air con then it is easy to do without removing anything (only fiddly bit is the back plate if fitted). On other cars I'd do it by taking the manifold off...

Sign in to follow this