• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHunt79

Tell Me About Rear Beams

MikeHunt79

I'm planning on lowering my rear beam you see (I've already lowered the front), so I'm hoping to pick up a good 2nd beam, refurb it and lower it, then swap it with my current beam.

The only difference I am aware of is that the 1.9 beam has discs, while the other beams have drums.

Now, on my XRDT, it apparently has the same front suspension set up as the GTi... so I'm guessing the rear is different.

Also, would there be any benefit if I fit a GTI beam to my XRDT? Would there be any differences in track, ARB stuff or anything else?

I want to keep drums if I can - changing to discs sound like lots of hassle for very little (if any) benefit, so I'm guessing the 1.6gti beam would be the one worth looking out for?

pug_ham

Best check if your XRDT has a GTi front subframe, all those I've seen have had the base model subframe like the CTi's have.

The rear beam is more likely to be XS spec at best but they are the ame basic beam as the 205 GTi just with thinner torsion bars & arb.

Fitting a GTi beam would give you a slightly increase in rear track width along with both thicker torsion bars & arb so it will roll less through the corners.

Graham.

MikeHunt79

I like the sound of thicker torsion bars & arb, but not a wider track. :lol: I'm already running 15" speedlines, and there is very little tyre to arch clearance as base model don't have the high arches that the GTI's have...

Would it be possible to combine bits from a GTI and base model beam to have a thicker torsion bars & arb but keep the standard track or would it be more trouble than it's worth? ;)

RossD
I like the sound of thicker torsion bars & arb, but not a wider track. :lol: I'm already running 15" speedlines, and there is very little tyre to arch clearance as base model don't have the high arches that the GTI's have...

Would it be possible to combine bits from a GTI and base model beam to have a thicker torsion bars & arb but keep the standard track or would it be more trouble than it's worth? ;)

The GTi has 18.9mm torsion bars with a 19mm anti roll bar. The base model beams have 18.1mm or 18.5mm torsion bars with either no ARB, a 14mm roll bar for 5door/1.4 models or a 16mm anti roll bar for the sporty 1.4 models (XS/GT etc), so the difference in rear torsion bars isnt as big as some say. I worked out the spring rate of the 18.9mm bar at about 115lb/in, the 18.1mm bars being not a lot less.

The easy first step is to simply try the GTi anti roll bar in your beam, which is a 20 in job to change. If its still not to your liking then maybe try upgrading the torsion bars...

Edited by RossD

Anthony

Base model beams have different drums to GTi's as well - it's these (the GTi drums are wider) that gives the track width increase, not the beam itself.

MikeHunt79

Thanks for the info - At least I'll know what to look out for when beam hunting. :)

Base model beams have different drums to GTi's as well - it's these (the GTi drums are wider) that gives the track width increase, not the beam itself.

Gotcha. Would it be possible to fit base model drums on a GTI beam and to keep the base model's track? I've never really had a beam apart you see.

Guest smokinslim

Sure, you need to swap the complete drum though, backing plate, cylinder and all. The hoses are the same so you don't need to worry about those.

MikeHunt79
Sure, you need to swap the complete drum though, backing plate, cylinder and all. The hoses are the same so you don't need to worry about those.

Nice... Now I just need to hunt down a GTI beam. :)

* heads over to for sale section *

changingman

I had a 1.6 rear beam on my MI16 and when i changed it to a 1.9 it seemed to be very loose at the back end under heavy braking.

Obviously i dont hammer it into corners onthe main road,this was on track but it seemed to handle slightly better with the 1.6 beam and apparently has a slightly wider track due to the drums and not the discs??

I cant gaurantee that but its just my personal opinion.

Cheers

Liam B)

Sign in to follow this