• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jas-E

Gti 6 Sump On A Mi16

jas-E

hey guys,

I am just finishing off rebuilding the bottom end of my mi16 engine, and decided to get a gti6 baffled sump. I managed to get hold of one and searched the forum from where i found out i dont need the spacer plate if i use that sump. Problem is when i fit the sump some of the hole near the timing belt side of the engine dont align properly!! I can really move the sump about as the oil pump doesnt let it move much. (i have a brand new oil pump from QEP)

did anyone else fitting a gti6 sump on a mi16 have the same problem at all??is there something i havent done to allow the holes to align properly??

thanks for your help

Jas

Edited by jas-E

Anthony

They all should line up just fine - I've installed several GTi-6 (and other XU10) sumps on Mi's and 8v's without issue :wacko:

jas-E

hey Anthony,

Iv tried aligning it up but seems the oil pick up strainer on the oil pump prevents the sump from moving at all. I have compared it to the older oil pump and looks exactly the same. When i put the spacer on it it lines up ok so is it ok if i fit that in??

thanks for your help

Jas

James_R

are the locating dowels out the block when you have the spacer off?

jas-E
are the locating dowels out the block when you have the spacer off?

yes mate...dowels are all off..

infact it only just lines up with the spacer plate on..i placed the spacer on the sump off the engine and all the holes line up.

its the oil pump that doesnt let the sump move into position!is that supposed to happen??have i really got a gti6 sump?? :wacko:

jas-E

my mi16 engine is off a 4x4 405 - does this have a different block that the gti6 sump wont fit on??

also i noticed that the sump just needs to move slightly and the side of the oil pump is preventing this. Would shaving off some material from the side of the oil pump be ok so that all the holes line up??

im pretty much stuck at this point and could really do with some help..

cheers guys

Bonzai

i really think you ought to rebuild it with the stiffener plate anyway. Peugeot didnt include it for a laugh...

jas-E

hey guys..

sorry it was my mistake. I was having a look at what was restricting the sump moving across to line up everything and noticed an allen key drain plug?? that was sticking out a little. Tightened it and most of the holes have lined up, other than about 3 or 4 of them which are just off by about half a millimeter. Im sure i can get it to fit perfectly by just slightly drilling out the holes. that should be ok to do though shouldnt it??

Also Bonzai, i know the spacer plate wasnt put in there for a laugh, but if you compare the gti6 sump and the mi16 sump + spacer plate, they are the same depth. If i put in the spacer plate with the gti6 sump, then my sump sits lower by about an inch (thickness of spacer plate) and my oil pick up strainer sits higher, which would mean il ned more oil in there...!

Any thoughts on that???

cheers

Jas

Anthony

I'm sure the stiffner/spacer plate was included for a purpose, but certainly I've had no problem running with it removed and an XU10 sump

As you've said, if you run a spacer and XU10 sump, then you really need to space the pickup out to bring it down to the bottom of the sump. Petert on here does a kit that does that and it will help with dreaded oil surge on Mi's as well.

Bonzai

its actually only half an inch lower, and you reap benefits of having an extra 1.5 litres of oil, but the choice is yours. Just another thought, wont some of your sump bolts be too long?

Sign in to follow this