• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

1.9 Or 1.6

ANDYMISIXTEEN

How do i tell if my Cti has a 1.9 or a 1.6 in it? It does have yellow injectors, which i thought only come on 1.9s. But i suppose he could of just used the injectors from a 1.9. I think the gearbox is a 1.6Gti but not sure, its stamped on the box somewhere isnt it? :wacko:

pug_ham

The box doesn't have any external markings to tell you what gear ratio's it is or what car it comes from, 1.6 or 1.9 GTi. Only way to get a rough idea is to take the diff cover off & see what the final drive ratios is marked on the crown wheel.

To find out what engine you have there is usually a small black & silver tag on top of the block by the drivers side upper engine mount with a code on D6B or similar). Post the one from your engine & we should be able to say which it is.

I don't think the 1.9 CTi engine had the spacer/stiffener plate in so the easy indicator isn't there.

What year is your car?

Graham.

steve@cornwall
The box doesn't have any external markings to tell you what gear ratio's it is or what car it comes from, 1.6 or 1.9 GTi. Only way to get a rough idea is to take the diff cover off & see what the final drive ratios is marked on the crown wheel.

To find out what engine you have there is usually a small black & silver tag on top of the block by the drivers side upper engine mount with a code on D6B or similar). Post the one from your engine & we should be able to say which it is.

I don't think the 1.9 CTi engine had the spacer/stiffener plate in so the easy indicator isn't there.

What year is your car?

Graham.

Would it work to mark a stick or similar, place down a plug hole and measure the stroke against known 1.6 or 1.9 ? If just the engine is changed and has no i.d tag, I can't see any other way to i.d it externally

simonb
Would it work to mark a stick or similar, place down a plug hole and measure the stroke against known 1.6 or 1.9 ? If just the engine is changed and has no i.d tag, I can't see any other way to i.d it externally

Obvious things to check are:

1. 1.6 box will be doing 4000 rpm @ 70 mph, 1.9 will be around 3200.

2. Look at the codes on the distributor and AFM - 1.9 items are different to 1.6 (search for 1.9 afm code)

3. Bottom of block on 1.9 will have a 1 inch thick spacer plate where the sump bolts on to account for the additional stroke of the 1.9 crank.

4. Yellow injectors are 1.9.

Also, the 1.9 CTi engine was was lower compression than the GTi 1.9 and I believe it only puts out around 105 BHP. This is why the CTi engine is favoured for turbo conversions.

Hope this helps

ANDYMISIXTEEN

It has the yellow injectors, no oil cooler. I think i found the engine number its D6B 01466. AFM 0280202056. Dizzy C 043 D 019 AND 0 237 009 066. I just sore a dizzy on ebay saying its a 1.6 with the same code as mine. The main reason i wanted to know what engine it was is becasue my car is a 1990 but has 91 stamped on a few parts on the engine.

Didnt know wheather the sump had the spacer plate i got a pic though

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/DJMISFIT1/S7001121.jpg

pug_ham

D6B is the normal 1.9 GTi engine & from that picture you have the spacer fitted.

Your AFM is from a 1.6 & dizzy from a 1.9. What is your ecu number?

Graham.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Ecu is 0280 000 359 thats a 1.9 ecu. So should i change the AFM to a 1.9?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Will the 1.9 run correct with a 1.6 afm?

simonb

That looks like a 1.9 block.

The 1.6 ECU will cause the motor to run lean, so I would invest in a 1.9 item soon.

pug_ham
The 1.6 ECU will cause the motor to run lean, so I would invest in a 1.9 item soon.

The 1.6 ecu will cause the car to overfuel because the injector cycle is longer for the 1.6 engine than it is for the 1.9 as several people on here have reported after trying them on their 1.9's. (the oil started to smell strongly of petrol after a short while).

This car has a 1.9 ecu fitted anyway so the fuelling should be right.

AFAIK people have run the 1.9 ecu with a 1.6 AFM but never reported any problems on how it runs but if you can get a 1.9 afm easily enough, I would.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this