• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fore_heed

Ticking Engine

fore_heed

My 205 has recently started to develop a 'ticking' noise when warm. I'm not sure whether its the tappets or something else, im no mechanic! I've changed the oil recently, but made no difference. I'm not sure if its something i should be majorly worried about or not? Engine still revs well through all the gears, doesnt seem to be any lack of power. Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers

danpug

Sounds like tappets most likely but possibly a crack in your exhaust manifold.

alexmi16

seconded - crack in exhaust manifoldor manifold gasket

jim21070

Injectors can tick very loudly on idle sometimes.

I'll third the exhaust manifold though. Easy way to check. Get your nose right in the engine compartment as near to the manifold as possible and take a deep sniff. If you can smell exhaust fumes it's the manifold.

If you don't know the smell, give your tailpipe a sniff first, wait about 10 mins and then go back to sniffing in the engne bay B)

Edited by jim21070

Mad Professor

My engine still taps after adjusting valves, buckets, tapits, ect. So I have just ordered my self a set of Automotive Stethoscope's.

Somthing like.

909394_lg.jpg

I hope this will help to pinpoint the noise.

jim21070
My engine still taps after adjusting valves, buckets, tapits, ect. So I have just ordered my self a set of Automotive Stethoscope's.

Somthing like.

909394_lg.jpg

I hope this will help to pinpoint the noise.

You just need a white coat now to go with it B)

I always find a long screwdriver with a nice smooth plastic handle does the job pretty well. You need to choose one that is a nice snug fit against your ear and with no rubber in the handle to dampen the sounds.

I use an old-style smooth yellow handled No. 4 "Footprint" as was used by BT telephone engineers years ago.

If it is still tapping after all of thet work then the cam might be the cause...

fore_heed

Cheers guys! Now that you mention it, I do smell some exhaust fumes when im at a standstill after a run. I'll be sure to check it out!

CaptainK

Mines started ticking as well, so I'll give that a look as well. Thanks. :lol:

Rob_the_Sparky

A cracked exhaust manifold is louder under load than off load (due to higher exhaust pressure at a guess) but tappets/injectors are teh same across engine loads. Generally the easiest way to tell whether it is the manifold or not.

Rob

wardy18
A cracked exhaust manifold is louder under load than off load (due to higher exhaust pressure at a guess) but tappets/injectors are teh same across engine loads. Generally the easiest way to tell whether it is the manifold or not.

Rob

i did the sniff test on mine and couldnt smell any exhaust fumes, my ticking is definitely tappets as its all coming from below the rocker cover, will need to get some shims and give it a blast one day :rolleyes: gotta learn somehow lol

CaptainK

Whats the downside of having a cracked manifold? Would it lead to dodgy emissions / running rich / bad performance ? :rolleyes:

My 205 ticks quietly whilst maintaining speed at X revs. Boot the acclerator and suddenly the ticks are like a marching band. Release accelerator and there are no ticks at all despite being back at X revs (obviously engine spinning down though as no throttle applied)

danpug

It'll fail an mot and i would imagine that if the crack is serious enough it probably would have an affect on performance.

steve@cornwall

I find that the manifold gaskets are prone to failure,too also giving a ticking noise, esp. under acceleration. And / or the manifold to downpipe gasket. A couple of hours work to replace (if it all undoes and nuts aren't seized and no studs snap!!!!) and about 20 quid parts from pug.

Talking of manifold studs....... check that one hasn't snapped off - again all too common on the gti :rolleyes:

fore_heed

Anyone know where I can find a decent seller of exhaust manifolds? Had a look round some sites an could only find full systems. Had a look on ebay but its exhaust manifolds are pretty far and few between. Im not looking to spend mega money on one, just somethin decent that wont break for a while will do me! :lol:

Cheers.

CaptainK
It'll fail an mot and i would imagine that if the crack is serious enough it probably would have an affect on performance.

Funnily, mine did fail its MOT on emissions and they "tweaked" it to make it pass. Dunno what. :(

And yes, the performance of my Pug isn't exactly great. Mmm.... I shall look into it.

As mentioned above - I'd like to know where to get new manifolds and so forth from. :(

Grim.Badger
Whats the downside of having a cracked manifold? Would it lead to dodgy emissions / running rich / bad performance ? :(

My 205 ticks quietly whilst maintaining speed at X revs. Boot the acclerator and suddenly the ticks are like a marching band. Release accelerator and there are no ticks at all despite being back at X revs (obviously engine spinning down though as no throttle applied)

This sounds more like an ignition timing problem (your engine in pinking). To test, boot it in 5th gear at 30mph; if it is really bad then your ignition timing should be suspected.

CaptainK
This sounds more like an ignition timing problem (your engine in pinking). To test, boot it in 5th gear at 30mph; if it is really bad then your ignition timing should be suspected.

I drive around at 30mph in 5th a lot of the time (long 30mph roads in Exeter). And yes, it does indeed make lots of ticking noises when you boot it in 5th at 30mph. Actually, it makes lots of ticking noises when you boot it in any gear.

Now you mention it - it could be a timing issue as it recently had a cambelt change, new valves, piston rings, shells etc etc. Maybe it wasn't set back up right? :D I've only recently noticed it as I've started driving around with the radio panel out (and thus off) a little more often.

Sign in to follow this