• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SamGTi

Power Steering Removal

SamGTi

As come of you may have read my old 1.9 lump has died so I am swapping it for a new engine (again a 1.9 8v). Problem is, my car has power steering and the new engine doesn't so I would like to swap it over. How do I do this?

From what I can see, my PAS pump is driven by the fan belt so the whole assembly (including pulley) will need to be swapped over, but I can't seem to get it apart. I need to get it off before removing my existing engine because the PAS assemblt is obviously connected to the steering rack and the engine won't come out unless I disconnect it, but I can't seem to work it out!

I have a rubber hose/pipe coming from the PAS reservoir which should be easy enough to undo and also a solid pipe running to the rack. If possible, I would like to just remove the bracket which holds the pulley and pump so that the whole system can simply be left in the car and bolted to the new engine.

Any help grately appreciated!

pug_ham

You shouldn't have to split the PAS system to remove your engine afaik so just take the drive belt off, remove the PAS pump mounting bolts & then take your old engine out of the car with the pump held out of the way.

The mounting plate on your old engine can be swapped onto your replacement one easily so it will all fit back on as it was.

This guide might also help.

Graham.

SamGTi

Thanks very much Graham! I did try to unbolt the pump and pullry from the block but I must have missed a bolt or two lurking underneath as it wouldn't come off. I removed the 4 bolts clearly visible and it wouldn't budge. I will go and have another look!

Peetypug

IIRC there is 7 or 8 bolts holding the plate/bracket on, plus there are 2 locating pins

the piping runs under the inlet fanimold doesnt it?

so that has to come off before you can remove the pipes from the area

Edited by sorrentopete

SamGTi

Yeah the piping runs under the inlet but everything is off anyway for the engine swap so there's no manifold, starter, alternator or anything. I just can't seem to find the other bolts holding it on!

SamGTi

Sorry to bring this up again but I still can't get the damn thing off! I have now removed 6 bolts from the plate holding the pump and pulley to the block. There must be more as it's still stuck solid on but I can't find them!

All 6 bolts that I have removed bolt directly to the front of the block, are there any at a different angle to these ones? And what about these 'locating pins'? Do I have to undo anything on them to remove the unit?

Any help greatly appreciated as this is slowing down my engine swap!

Peetypug

just had a look at the bracket in my garage

altogether there are 11 holes in it

6 for the main bolts

2 for locating pins (1 next to the very top bolt and 1 next to the bottom left bolt)

then there's 3 for the pump mounting bracket in the middle on the right

if you still aint done it by thursday night (im nowhere near a computer till then) i will take pic's and send them to you

Peetypug

here's 2 pics

bracket

block

there's 7 bolts that hold it on B) not 6

the locating pins are top and bottom left

Edited by sorrentopete

SamGTi

Thanks Pete, that's a great help! I have only just been able to get back on the forum so next time I am in my garage I should be able to compare the pictures to my car. Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this