• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

Dump Valve?

Headling

hi guys, i am looking to get a dump valve for when I have my 2.0 8v put in, having a look on the bay, does it matter what type i go for? or is it a case of any dump valve will do?

i know its a bit chav but it will be a laugh till it annoys me!

kyepan
hi guys, i am looking to get a dump valve for when I have my 2.0 8v put in, having a look on the bay, does it matter what type i go for? or is it a case of any dump valve will do?

It may already have a dump valve plumbed in, probably a recirculating one, that puts the air back into the system, most cars do. unless you've severely hacked the inlet tract to get it to fit.

I would go for a recirculating if it's not present, as it does not cause the mixture to richen and will be less leaky, which in turn may throw out the fuelling and air metering at idle and part throttle.

Atmospheric ones dump the air out side the system, as the air has all ready been measured for when the fuel is squirted in, you'll get overfuelling on over run when its dumped, which may cause it to pop and bang. or if you have a cat :wacko: ruin it pretty quick.

how it sounds to you is up to personal taste.

sonofsam

It wont be long! lol Good fun for a while though!

Hi Mark, yes it does matter, you want a single piston dump valve, for cars without Air Flow Meters,

as our engine use a MAP sensor instead.

Atmospheric DV will make a whoosh

recirculating will be pretty quiet as the air gets put back in the system ~ some 2.0 turbos had these fitted from factory, mine however did not.

Would buy new if you can mate, check out forgemotorsport.

Sam.

Edited by sonofsam

van cleef

SSVQ or a universal HKS are the ones i would probably go for.

rapidmi

why a single piston? i use a twin piston and mines runs amazingly

Henry Yorke

I have a twin piston. It just seems to make a noise like a fut-tish! I think it is overkill, but it was a free brand new Forge one so it went on. You do need to run one of sorts otherwise you get "wastegate chatter" which is actually turbine stall not good fo rthe life of your turbo.

cybernck

with MAP-equipped turbo cars, you can run diaphragm type ones as well.

whizzer71

More than advisable when running xtra boost too !

B)

Malachy
Atmospheric ones dump the air out side the system, as the air has all ready been measured for when the fuel is squirted in, you'll get overfuelling on over run when its dumped, which may cause it to pop and bang. or if you have a cat :) ruin it pretty quick.

how it sounds to you is up to personal taste.

this does not matter on the 8v turbo, it uses MAP sensing not AFM, so measures pressure in the inlet manifold to sort fueling not volume of air passing an air flow meter after the air filter.

therefore dumping air in a map based car before the throttle body has no effect on mixture at all.

on an afm metered car it will as it will of been measured as you say and fuel setup for that.this means for afm metered cars you need to run twin piston types to help get over this problem, or run a recirc.

on MAP based cars you can run anything.

so basically you can use pretty much any dump valve you want, although i would choose higher quality as the cheaper ones can leak causing boost loss.

regards

Andy

Edited by Malachy

bales

Try without one first and see which noise you prefer.....

Sign in to follow this