• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ablister

Xenon Bulbs

ablister

are these just a gimmick or do they actually work better compared to std halogen bulbs?

ali

rallyman

Technically they are much better - more light less power consumed. You have to have the transformers as well.

However, this comes at a cost. To focus the light they should be shone through a lense (like Audi's) otherwise you will piss other drivers off as the light isnt properly focused. They should have a washer system as well. I think that there is laws :wacko: that say you cannot use them in normal H4 set up - possibly the MOT wont like it if they do a beam pattern test.

I was explaining how crap my Audi's head lights were (after being tugged for having my driving lights on) to Plod last year and he didnt know about the Xenons in normal set ups after suggesting I use them :D

I think Auto express did a write up on after market Xenons at some time - have a look.

MikeHunt79
are these just a gimmick or do they actually work better compared to std halogen bulbs?

ali

Hace you checkout uprated halogens like Silverstars?

It's the way to go IMO, as aftermarket HID's won't give the same beam pattern.

ablister

rallyman, they were h4 bulbs that i was looking at so will just leave them for now, cheers.

Mike, not seen those but will have a look, ta

SAMSMITH

you can buy cheap sets and expensive sets. the cheap ones are illegal as they need a cap or something to sort the beam pattern. more expensive (£140) habve tihs

Phil H

Are we confusing H4 Xenon bulbs with HID lamps here?

I have Philips Xenon bulbs in my headlamps and the crisp white light is much better than standard halogen.

ablister

yeah, as philip says, just h4 bulbs i'm interested in but with xenon instead of usual halogen but think he has answered my question. cheers

Paintguy

rallyman - you seem to have the wrong end of the stick completely I'm afraid.

The original poster was asking about Xenon bulbs, but your reply talks about two totally different technologies not connected with the above - HID, and projector lamps.

brianthemagical

i got some from halfords, they seem ok. i've also got rally driving lamp bulbs but there illegal, and rather bright.

M@tt

post revival

has anyone got any experince of running PHILIPS X-TREME POWER H4 bulbs? looking to get some as the dark and miserable nights make driving the backroads quite errr... interesting

danpug

I've had some fitted for about a week now, much better than standard. I had vision plus before, can't tell if they are that much better than those. For the money i'd probably just get the vision plus, i got my extremes for a bargain on ebay.

jackherer
post revival

has anyone got any experince of running PHILIPS X-TREME POWER H4 bulbs? looking to get some as the dark and miserable nights make driving the backroads quite errr... interesting

I have some in my 205 but I noticed more improvement from thoroughly cleaning my headlights and re crimping the earths. The bulbs do help but not without a decent voltage reaching them.

ccgoose

i find these xenons bloomin irritating :D

brianthemagical

why's that?

RossD
i find these xenons bloomin irritating ;)

I take it you mean HID not Xenon?

dirtdog

so basically..recrimp connections..clean lens...and new bulbs aswell?

which xenon bulbs are the best (NOT BLUE)? new cars lights are blinding and mine are just ..really gloomy

Sign in to follow this