• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Mi16 Missfire

boldy205

Hi, i have a alloy block MI16 on thin Weber 45s running 8V dizzy/ignition module etc.

The problem i have is that when under load the engine missfires, it will keep on revving but obviously take longer as its missfiring. I have tried leads plugs and a S/hand coil (known to be good) and still have the problem. Just wondering if its the ignition module? (the Bosch unit mounted on the alloy plate?) If this unit is breaking dowm will it have this effect on the engine?

please help as i have track time booked at Castle Combe this Saturday and is the first time to take the MI out!!!!!! Since the rebuilt engine went in 1100 miles ago its been fine, as soon as a track day in round the corner she packs up!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

Matt

nick

Get a torch and have a look down the plug holes. Mine missfired when I had some oil in the bottom of the hole, it was shorting out the plug.

Nick

Jer309GTi

I've got a spare module if you want to try that. Have you looked inside the dizzy cap to make sure there is no tracking between contacts?

boldy205

both of those are fine. Its doing my head in!!

Thanks Jer, will take you up on the module.

anyone had a problem with this and found it to be the dizzy??

MikeHunt79

Boldy, I've posted up on 2 other car forums (retrorides and overclockers) I go on asking if anyone has a spare dizzy, I'll let you know if I strike it lucky. :lol:

EDIT: Also, have a look on ebay - quite a few on there, some ending before sat! :lol:

EDIT2: Some guy on the overclockers forum said he is going to the rally day also, and he has a spare dizzy he can bring along. It's the Bosch (orange cap) one not the Ducellier (black cap) one.

Also, the same guy had some info which should help:

"The other thing that often causes a misfire on the 205 is the fuel pump, they lose oomph after a while. Think a healthy one pushes about 3 Bar. Take off the fuel return and rev it, if no fuel is coming out of the pressure reg back to the tank the pump is probably past its best."

Edited by MikeHunt79

jim205GTI

If you're struggling for a dizzy i "think" i still have the one left from my old one engine cap and all..... :) Welcome to that if you like, i don't need it no more and can't be sure if it still works....did when it came off :)

boldy205

JIM205GTI: if i could have it that would be brilliant! I have PMd you.

Thanks

Matt.

MikeHunt79
JIM205GTI: if i could have it that would be brilliant! I have PMd you.

Thanks

Matt.

The forum appears to be very slow or broke right now :)

Shall I tell the guy from the overclockers forum that we need his dizzy, or are you getting one from Jim? I said I'd let him know tonight, but he's an insomniac I think as he posts at 1am, and also 6am. :)

boldy205

yea mann get that dizzy!!!!! chears will!!

JIM205: you still got the dizzy? i will still have it if thats ok. you should have PM. Can i get it tomorrow night?

Thanks

Matt.

MikeHunt79

Job done - I've sent him my mobile number, and he says he'll be there around 9. The only slight problem is he has to leave by 4 as he has a wedding to go to - which kinda clashes with yer 4:40 session (I would've mentioned it on the phone, but I've only just found out). :)

Also, bring tools! :)

Edited by MikeHunt79

pee vee

is your rev counter or any other gauge on the dash 'fluttering' when it misfires??

IF so, get a nice big cable and put one end on the -ve battery terminal and the other end on a good earth point on the engine..

this one single thing solved the misfire and dodgy rev counter on my mi16.

boldy205

sussed it! the screw that holds the venturi in the choke had come loose, therefore the venturi had turned and conered the hole for the main jet!!! so no fuel and a miss!! YEY! and thanks to a v helpfull local man its sorted!! and the old man, who always seems to (anoyingly) sort those problems i cant fix :mellow:

oh and if these screws arent lock wired then its quite common apparently, so anyone with webers, bust out you lockwire!!!

Thanks very much to everyone who has come up with bits MIKEHUNT and JIM and a big sorry and thankyou to PR Developments, you know why!! :wacko: I Was having a pretty bay day, thats no excuse though.

Off to Castle Combe to spin a shell or 2 tomorrow!! :mellow: Hmmmmmm

kenan
is your rev counter or any other gauge on the dash 'fluttering' when it misfires??

IF so, get a nice big cable and put one end on the -ve battery terminal and the other end on a good earth point on the engine..

this one single thing solved the misfire and dodgy rev counter on my mi16.

Mine just started doing this, will try making a better earth in the morning . .

Sign in to follow this