• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rossi

Solid Lifters

rossi

Can anyone explain what solid lifters are exactly? I'm running a 1.9 8v, with a ported n polished head, superchipped ecu. I'm after running a more agressive cam (piper), but ive been told to make a few head amendments for this to work. Solid lifters for example, someone explain?

Ta.

B1ack_Mi16
Can anyone explain what solid lifters are exactly? I'm running a 1.9 8v, with a ported n polished head, superchipped ecu. I'm after running a more agressive cam (piper), but ive been told to make a few head amendments for this to work. Solid lifters for example, someone explain?

Ta.

You already got solid lifters...

All the XU 8v engines got that afaik. It just means that the valve clearance is set mechanically by using a steel shim/brick of the correct thickness.

Hydraulic lifters on the other hand self adjust by a piston which is fed with oil pressure and hence will self adjust.

The hydraulics are not very good when revs start to go above 7000rpm on lairy camshafts.

Sandy

Too slow, duplicated the above!

Edited by sandy309

rossi

so, if i wanted a piper rally cam (308 degree), it'd simply be a straight swap, no amendments?

Edited by rossi

ross009

hey man i may get this totally wrong and get shot down in flames but in answer to your question... no there will be other work needed to use that cam as far is i can recall thats a serious cam you will need double valve springs fitting minimum which i believe requires modifiaction to the valve spring seat. then theres the compression which will need to be seriously raised to get any drivability lower in the revs and the cr will have to be so high its prob gonna cause some detonation so then the ignition side of things will need looking at not to mention that cam will probably have next to no benefit without going to carbs/throttle bodies. i think something like a catcams 279 would be much more suited to what your looking for.... anyone care to add to this?

Hilgie

308 is full-race so I would also opt for the 279 as well if the car is every going to be used on public roads. Then it's just a simple swap.

rossi

Cheers for the help guys.

B1ack_Mi16
Cheers for the help guys.

Also I would guess you'd better get new lifters when getting a new cam, as they're supposed to "bed in" togeather.

Which I also think is more important the more lairy the camshaft is, and also the stiffer the valvesprings are.

Sign in to follow this