• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

What Do Y'all Reckon

brianthemagical

i went to check my gearbox oil and this is what greated me. the otherside's slightly better. they're egal f1's and i've got 309 wishbones. any idea whats happend as the shoulder isn't level with the rest of the tyre so it's not just straight line general driving. is ita case of the inside wheel draging? or am i not pushing hard enough? the other question are they likely to still be usable? will the be ok on the back? thanks.

14-09-07_1511.jpg

Edited by brianthemagical

Nathan

That looks like its down to the canvas! If it is don't drive on it any more as its very dangerous and if the cops pull you over you'll get 3 points per tyre.

Problem is that your tracking is way out (due to fitting the 309 set up).

Anthony

Yup, tracking would be my first suspicion - most likely alot of toe-out (which is what you'd get if you didn't re-track the car after fitting the 309 stuff!)

As said, they're very illegal now and if you get caught by the police they'll take a very dim view indeed.

brianthemagical

is that as in toe? so it's kind of been draging the edge of the tyre? it's not massivly out as i adjusted it when i fitted the wishbones but it's obviously enough. oh well, i'd better get fixig then. thanks for the reply.

Nathan

Toe in is when the front of the wheel is pointing towards the centre line of the car, toe out (which you have) is when the front of the tyre points out from the centre line of the car.

Easy enough to check what you have by running lengths of string down the side of the car (must pass through the centre line of the wheels) with the wheels dead ahead you can then measure the distance from the rim edge to the string and then adjust accordingly.

Edited by Nathan

skeggyrik

That tyre is now Junk, if that's what it looks like it has worn through to the carcass fo the tyre.

Get your tracking checked, it will be out for it to scrub thge insides like that.

hengti

just out of interest, would you not expect a little wear on the inner edge due to the negative camber 309 arms or should tyres wear fairly evenly with the set-up?

Anthony
just out of interest, would you not expect a little wear on the inner edge due to the negative camber 309 arms or should tyres wear fairly evenly with the set-up?

On the 205's I've had with 309 front running gear, they've always worn the tires evenly - running 205 wishbones I always prematurely kill the outer edge of the tires though...

Alastairh
On the 205's I've had with 309 front running gear, they've always worn the tires evenly - running 205 wishbones I always prematurely kill the outer edge of the tires though...

Agreeed. God knows how many sets of eagle F1s i've been through.

Tracking on a 205 with 309 setup is vital, or else it will just be crap.

jackherer
Tracking on a 205 with 309 setup is vital, or else it will just be crap.

Thats very true. I've just fitted loads of new bushes etc and a set of F1s on my pug and its worse than when I started. I had it tracked just a few weeks ago but I didn't realise my wishbone bushes were shot and now they are replaced everything sits differently and it is clearly miles out, it pulls left hard, the wheel isn't straight when it is going in a straight line anymore and at any more than 40 it feels very unstable.

brianthemagical

it's know got a new track rod on the o/s and i've tracked itas best i could (which, from experiance ain't that good) so can i have oppinions as to what it loks like till i can get it done properly? thanks. to me it looks slightly toe out but using a long pole on the rear wheels they are both set at 0.

whe i put the 309 wishbones on i did alter the tracking as it as way out, i guess it just was no where near right. i was waiting to get another n/s t/r with the ball joint boot before i got the car tracked but this time i'll get it done asap.

photo 1

photo 2

photo three

thanks again for the help.

the tyre that are on ih the three photos will be coming off, they were just the first i had to hand for the tracking.

pug_ham

When I fitted my 309 stuff last month I adjusted the track rod ends out by approx 10mm each side & althoguh it drove Ok to the garage to have it set correctly once up on the ramp with the guages fitted it was miles out!! :unsure:

Get it checked professionally asap.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this