• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Xs Wont Drive Smooth

djinuk

The xs i drive hates being driven unless its at full working temperature (worse than normal) , and when driving it there is spots like in 5th at 3k rpm the car is jumpy and pulls back and forth, as well as pulling of from first to seconds it pulls back before accelerating. Any ideas, could the carb be due a rebuild.

RossD

A good service could be on the cards, checking ignition timing, spark plugs, ignition leads, CO content of the exhaust, filters etc etc. Hard to say without seeing the car.

djinuk

ive changed everything, but not the fuel filter.. hmm it could be that im guessing.

DaveW

yeah change that, sounds like dirt in the fuel.

djinuk

been like it for a few months now :lol:, ill change fuel filter , then rebuild the carb if i can find a diagram n the parts

j_turnell

I would also put a good bet on either the fuel filter/blocked jets in the carb.

djinuk

are blocked jets only fixable by replacment or can i clean them out wiv carb cleaner, ?

Teacher
The xs i drive hates being driven unless its at full working temperature (worse than normal) , and when driving it there is spots like in 5th at 3k rpm the car is jumpy and pulls back and forth, as well as pulling of from first to seconds it pulls back before accelerating. Any ideas, could the carb be due a rebuild.

I had similar issues with my old xs until it coughed and spluttered to a halt on the way to work one morning.

Luckily a pal who works at the the local peugeot breakers was passing and fixed it in 2 secs.

Just take the air filter off the carb

block the carb (with a flat palm of your hand)

then turn the engine over a few times.

Worked a treat never had any more problems until i sold it a year later

djinuk

just out of interest, do i have to split the carb in half to get dwn 2 take the jets out or should be able to do this whilst the carb is still on the car, .? im just worried about messing the settings up on the car.

trogboy

No need to split the carb, just take out the emulsion tubes (these are the brass tubes seen from the top of the carb) and then use a skinny screwdriver to undo the jets in the bottom of the wells. The jets can then be lifted out with a long cocktail stick (push it in and then the jet will stick on the end)

I used to strip the carb down though so that I could clean out the passageways of all of the gunk which helps stop the problem re-occuring.

Don't forget the little filter that is located behind the brass fuel inlet.

djinuk

yea thts cool , whats best to clean it out with, just normal carb cleaner ?

trogboy

I usually use compressed air! carb cleaner should work on the jets. If you want to get the cack out of the wells without compressed air you'd be better off taking the carb off so that you can spin it over and let gravity give you a helping hand. Plus if you are doing that you might as well split the carb and give it a good going over. There is only two screws on them for adjusting any settings and you wouldn't be going anywhere near it if you are just working on the inside of the castings.

djinuk

just to add.. when the car is cold, like tonight, when i first start it and drive its so jerky, to the point its scary, are they all like this or am i having problems. ?

djinuk

ok, cleaned the carb and changed fuel filter..

was running really really well but after 3 days the problem was coming back, so have cleaned the jets again, however now a day later the problem is back again :wacko:

just to add my carb did not have the small gauge like the one in pic, instead it has a much smaller in diameter copper pipe, and the whole which this went into was nowhere near as large as the one on the normal xs carb

Edited by djinuk

Sign in to follow this