• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blindreaper242

Ignition Coil Wiring Info

blindreaper242

Right, I replaced my head gasket recently but stupidly forgot to make note of the order of the wires connected to the ignition coil. My coil is mounted on the inlet manifold like so:

coil.jpg

These are the wires I need help with: (the photo is a bit dodgy but the order is green, blue, yellow, orange [left to right])

coilwires.gif

So if you've got an 8v 1.9, please take a look and tell me what the correct order should be!

I haven't got a spark and I'm pretty sure its because this is wrong!

Thanks.

pug_ham

Picture taken of the loom off my 1991 J reg 205 GTi (& its the same as the one from my 1990 H reg).

coilplugfi0.jpg

It looks like someone has been messing with your loom as you should have a moulded plug (like in the picture) so you can't get it wrong. What year is your car? They look like the old inner wing mounted coil wires.

Graham.

blindreaper242
Picture taken of the loom off my 1991 J reg 205 GTi (& its the same as the one from my 1990 H reg).

coilplugfi0.jpg

It looks like someone has been messing with your loom as you should have a moulded plug (like in the picture) so you can't get it wrong. What year is your car? They look like the old inner wing mounted coil wires.

Graham.

My car was originally a 1989 1.6 gti, but the previous owner dropped a 1.9 engine in, which was stamped 1991 on the head. I don't know if he used the old coil or something. Have you got a picture showing how those wires connect to the coil? I'm at a loss of working out the right order of these wires now as no one seems to have the same loom/coil!

pug_ham

1989 is among the change over years so your original engine might've had the coil in either place unfortunately.:unsure:

The coil in your picture above is the later style from the 1991 engine.

Was it running fine before you took it apart?

Graham.

blindreaper242

It was running fine before I took it apart. Curiously the oil pressure and stop warning lights don't come on when the ignition starts eventhough no oil sensors were unplugged.

Did the inner wing mounted coil have a plug connector or spades like in my pic?

pug_ham
It was running fine before I took it apart. Curiously the oil pressure and stop warning lights don't come on when the ignition starts eventhough no oil sensors were unplugged.

Did the inner wing mounted coil have a plug connector or spades like in my pc?

The connectors could just have been disturbed when you removed the inlet manifold etc to take the head off or if your car has the brown multiplug (most likely) the wores might even have broken due to age & them going brittle.

The inner wing mounted coil had single spade connectors similar to those in your pictures.

Where is your ignition amp? (See attached image).

Graham.

post-71-1189466893_thumb.jpg

blindreaper242
The connectors could just have been disturbed when you removed the inlet manifold etc to take the head off or if your car has the brown multiplug (most likely) the wores might even have broken due to age & them going brittle.

The inner wing mounted coil had single spade connectors similar to those in your pictures.

Where is your ignition amp? (See attached image).

Graham.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee48/bl...per242/pack.jpg

thanks

pug_ham

With the ignition amp there I think your car originally had an inner wing mounted coil & the wires have been extended to reach the inlet. The new wire tubing hints at this also.

Have a look on the length of the wires for any numbers but one of the thicker wires will run to tht eiognition amp, one to the car (should have 12v with ignition on) one to the rev counter & two to the ignition amp.

The pins on the coil plug are;

• Pin1;smaller brown plug under dash for revcounter wire # 112b for Rev counter.
  • Pin 2; Ignition module plug pin .(#112A)
  • Pin 3; Ignition module plug middle pin.
  • Pin 4; wire # 2B, smaller plug (4 pins, wire #2A) brown plug under the dash in the drivers footwell.

The pins on the ignition amp are;

• Pin 1; coil plug pin 2.
  • pin 2; Earth to pin 3 on smaller brown plug under dash.
  • Pin 3; dizzy field plug pin 1
  • Pin4; Coil plug pin 3
  • Pin 5; dizzy field plug pin 3.
  • Pin 6; dizzy field plug pin 2.

See attached picture for ignition module plug pin numbering.

Graham.

post-71-1189523158_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this