• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

205 Gti With Turbo Diesel

yeti-dj

Hello people, right for my sins i fitted a 205 Dturbo engine into my gti and now am getting real sick of the D turbo gearbox as its so short its just silly.

So was wondering which box to fit next, the 405 Dturbo or a 306 Dturbo or any other suggestions???

Oh, and how do i tell which gearbox is which without taking them to bits?

Please anyone who has same engine and a different box let me know whats youve done,

Cheers......

Guest NickMiami

You find the TD gearbox short? I run a TD gearbox on my 1.9 GTi and i do find 1st and 2nd short but 3rd 4th 5t are as long as you could ever want, especially with a diesel engine under the bonnet, why not try a 1.9 GTi box on it? :D

whizzer71

Or even building one hybrid out of the pair !!

:D

oliver17491

many people use the TD gearboxes on there gti's to get more top end, i think that the first 2 gears are the same as a 1.6 gti and 3rd, 4th and 5th is limited just for the Td for the longer ratio. they do that because the Td isnt very high reving and there for having somthing like a 1.6 gti ratio on it would cause it not to have a top end at all it would probley top out at say 90-100mph becasue they only rev up to 4-5k and the gti revs to 6k

yeti-dj

Hello, ye the problem is 5th is way to short and was looking for a gearbox that would reduce revs at motorway cruising speeds. At 80-90mph the poor wee car is almost flat out at 4500rpm.

Does the 405 box have a longer 5th to improve motoray speeds, anybody?

cheers....

Hilgie

Just check out some ratios of different BE boxes and pick the one you like. It's easy to swap only the 5th gear.

pug_ham
At 80-90mph the poor wee car is almost flat out at 4500rpm.

Does the 405 box have a longer 5th to improve motoray speeds, anybody?

Sorry but you haven't got a TD or Diesel gearbox fitted to your car imo.

My TD gearbox was running 75mph @ 3k in fifth & the diesel gearbox on it now is just slightly shorter than that at about 68mph @ 3k.

The longet 405 gearbox fifth I know of is the one that was on the 405 SRi but even that is shorter than the TD gearbox. (4k is 90mph~) but I don't know what the ratio's in the 405 TD are.

Graham.

RHULPUG

100mph is pretty much flat out in the 205 1.8 TD anyway!

Malachy
100mph is pretty much flat out in the 205 1.8 TD anyway!

pfft rubbish, my stdt with a slight mod on the fuel pump will go up to a gps verified 115mph(almost 120 indicated) quite hapily

although does smoke a bit ^_^

welshpug

115mph is the top speed of pretty much any 1.9 DT whatever its fitted to ^_^

80mph at about 2750 in 5th should be what youre getting if the 1.8 runs ratios similar to the 1.9.

dirtdog

i got a STDT and it'll pull 110 maybe 115 but who cares.although from 80+ feels dreadfuly slow and i do need the balancing done so its a bit shaky.lol. first is s*it..second is alrite.into third and its shiftin. 70mph at 3krpm in 5th, glides to 60 when its warmd up. does not engluf other road users in a black cloud .the fuel pump has not been altered..it still has these little metal things on the adjustment bits. you gotta take off the metal bits to screw out/in...apparently.i dont play with engines..i just use them.lol.

those who HAVE tuned the pump..what did you do?and can the wastegate be fiddled wit for more of a turbo boost? cheers

Edited by dirtdog

Sign in to follow this