• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steendp

Put Mi Engine In, But Wont Start

steendp

Hi.

I have just changed engine from a cat'ed 1.9 8v (Motronic) to a 1.9 16v using the 8v engine loom, but now it wont fire up :wub:.

I'll try to explain what I have done step by step.

Switch engine, using same loom.

Solder wires from knocksensor to pin 11 and 30. Shield was soldered to pin 14 (earth).

Change ECU to a mi16 (ending in 161).

When trying to start it, it makes a single pop once in a while, but nothing close enough to get it running.

Change the ECU back to original 1.9, same result.

Detach the knocking sensor. Same result.

I then checked for spark (using a device like this: http://www.biltema.dk/Archive/Product_imag...ge/15-142_l.jpg ) All was okay (one was perhaps a little weak, but still, it should be able to make it start up).

I checked for fuel (Disconnected ignition, turned over the engine, checked all plugs for petrol).

What should be my next step? I really cant figure out exactly what to do. Could it be the spark leads that is incorrectly mounted? I have crosschecked with my 309 and the are arranged in the same way. Is it perhaps possibly to mount the rotor 180 degree off?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

steendp
Is it perhaps possibly to mount the rotor 180 degree off?

Instead of asking this kind of question I should have tried to rotate the leads 180 degree, so I did. Unfortunately without any luck.

steely205

Have you heard the MI engine run?

Have you fitted a new timing belt, if so have you checked the timing?

If you have never heard it run or it has been standing for a while I would be inclined to do a compression check.

steendp

Sorry, I should have mentioned this. A year ago (or so) I had it running on the original Motronic ECU.

I'm on my way out to perform a (cold) compression test.

Edited by steendp

cybernck

hmm, for some reason, currently there are a few people on the forum that have

converted from JAZ to J4Z, using an altered JAZ wiring loom and they all seem

to have problems getting their Mi16 engines to run :wub:.

you should maybe consult other similar topics too (do a search).

steendp

I had it running earlier on the standard ECU and the only difference should be ICV and knocksensor. It should be able to start without the knocksensor according to various posts. Now I cant even start it with the original ECU. BTW I have around 5 bookmarks regarding the loom-topic :wub:

I made a compression test last time and it was fine then. This time it has no compression on 1 cylinder, so I guess I'll have to put in the old engine to be able to race on saturday :wub: . I hope I can make it although the motivation is pretty low at the moment.

I would have thought it was able to start on 3 cylinders though.

steely205

I would maybe try and coax the piston rings back into life with a little oil down the bore.

cybernck
I guess I'll have to put in the old engine to be able to race on saturday

lol... we also always have to intensively work in the last 48h before races :wub:.

Sign in to follow this