• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Cordless Impact Hammer

Batfink

I need an impact hammer and was thinking about getting this..

impact hammer

Will it be a pile of crap or ok?

jackherer

I don't have any experience of that product but I have a few things made by Clarke that take a lot of abuse and haven't broken yet. Mainly hydraulic stuff rather than electrical though.

Mikey S

its cheap for an impact driver especially as it comes with two nicads. it really depends on what you are going to use it for. for an professional it would probably be no good, but from a hobbying point of view it would probably be ok.

wheel nuts shouldnt be a problem for it, but i doubt hubnuts would succumbe to it. better to bar them off.

hope that helps

p.s

i would ignore that torque figure as well. take 50 off and it would be more like it.

jim21070

I've seen a DeWalt one and they're excellent tools. Top of the market though. Impact guns, rattle guns, call them what you will are incredibly useful tools but just occasionally, on small studs and nuts they can be a bit OTT and will shear them in an instant.

Ages back Aldi had some mega-cheap ones on offer. Under £20 IIRC. I got one out of curiosity and it does the job on tight wheel nuts although its action is a bit crude. I leave it in the boot as a wheelbrace.

I'll second Jackherer's comments on Clarke stuff generally. I've loads of Clark stuff from hand tools to engine crane and hydraulic press in my workshop and whilst being very cheap for what it is it does the job well and takes a lot of punishment without complaint. I've one of their cheap air impact wrenches and it's fine.

So no problem in recommending Clarke stuff ;) I'm sure it'll give satisfaction. By Clarke standards, its price suggests its going to be OK.

ORB

Bar in the car, compressor in the garage ;)

Stonesie

It looks ok from my point of view but i would double check anything important with a bar and socket, i do that after using my air gun and its rated to 550 Lb:Ft, i dont go mad with it though and eaven that finds the occasional wheelnut that it wont shift...

Alastairh
It looks ok from my point of view but i would double check anything important with a bar and socket, i do that after using my air gun and its rated to 550 Lb:Ft, i dont go mad with it though and eaven that finds the occasional wheelnut that it wont shift...

Yeah thats vital.

I've got Draper 18v Impact gun. Use it daily for all my car stuff and work. Bought it last Christmas as a present for £150, but 2 months later was even cheap (Its over £300 in the draper catalogue). Not let me down at all though, and you'd be surprised how much you use it.

A friend of mine has a 18v Snap on one, now thats the awesome :D but costs £400ish ;)

base-1

The only electric impact wrench I've ever been actually impressed by is Snap-On (unfortunately! As a general rule I don't like Snap-On at all). But even second hand you'd be lucky to get one for 100 quid without a battery.

I bought a cheapish one, it was crap and just takes up cupboard space somewhere now. Don't even know where it is! It's worth spending the moneyon a decent one, or buy a small compressor and a cheap airgun for half the money of an electric gun.

jackherer
Ages back Aldi had some mega-cheap ones on offer. Under £20 IIRC. I got one out of curiosity and it does the job on tight wheel nuts although its action is a bit crude. I leave it in the boot as a wheelbrace.

I got one of those thinking it would make changing wheels less boring but it broke on the first trackday I took it to. It has a long warranty so I keep meaning to send it back...

Rippthrough

The metabo ones are even better than the snap on.

Craigb

I have a draper 74054 and don't know what i did without it .

i think it was just under £200 all in with 2 spare 18V batteries . Its a bargain

large
I have a draper 74054 and don't know what i did without it .

i think it was just under £200 all in with 2 spare 18V batteries . Its a bargain

I got a rolson one about 2 months ago for £45, that is with 2 bats i find it very good. For that price if it does break i can use it as a hammer :)

chris 417 mi

I have the snap on one and its awesome, use it all the time when doing jobs so kinda pays for itself after a while ! :)

tom_m
or buy a small compressor and a cheap airgun for half the money of an electric gun.

posibly a false economy this tho, i got a free compressor and picked up a cheap air impact and its never been that impressive and sees to have given up the ghost completly now. alastairs leccy draper was much more impressive!

Edited by tom_m

Rippthrough

I've got an airgun, and yes it's more powerful, and cheaper, but have you tried lugging a compressor around in the boot? :)

It's handy for small jobs, although if it's something involved the compressor gets fired up.

Alastairh
alastairs leccy draper was much more impressive!

Yeah, to be fair rich, you used my gun when it was on like 40% battery.

Just stripped all the suspension, hub huts and majority of the cage of Ash's car and didn't flatter an eye lid!

205turbo

snap on all the way, never had any problems with mine and will do most things

base-1
Yeah, to be fair rich, you used my gun when it was on like 40% battery.

Just stripped all the suspension, hub huts and majority of the cage of Ash's car and didn't flatter an eye lid!

I wasn't having a go at yours ;) To be fair, I think it was probably more like 20%, I had to crack off the wheelnuts I used it on before it died hehe!

I know you can't lug a compressor around in the boot or anything, but cheap leccy guns are a false economy 99% of the time let's be honest. My small compressor in the garage was 100 quid with more bits than I will ever use, and I got a proper airgun off ebay for just over a ton that puts most Snap-On guns to shame really, and compares to a Facom gun I used to nick off another guy at work. And no electric gun will compare to that setup unfortunately, even at twice the price. If it did, I'd put money aside to get one for the ease of no hose and being able to take it anywhere. They're BRILLIANT for strapping to the spare wheel in a rally car, saves time and effort if you have to stop and change a wheel

Edited by base-1

Batfink

well I bought it and it seems to be up for any job i've put it against. I doubt it will undo a stubborn hub nut but everything else it seems to breese over. I dont know how anyone ever survives without one as it makes most jobs far easier ;)

Will get a compressor and airgun at a later date but for now this does the trick and seems rugged enough..

DaveK

i just bought one of these off ebay, slightly higher torque than that but OMG what a tool!! how i ever managed before i do not know!

TT205

I've got one of the cheapo one's and there's no way it would crack off anything well torque'd but it's a god send for whipping wheel nuts on and off, when changing all 4 wheels at events

n.b. I HAVE to use a wrench to crack them and the driver just to spin them off and on

ashley peddle

see i was looking at this one for wheels bolts and smaller jobls like that... here and here

or is it pointless? im sure they would be handy at track days etc? :lol:

SPGTi
see i was looking at this one for wheels bolts and smaller jobls like that... here and here

or is it pointless? im sure they would be handy at track days etc? :lol:

I bought a cheapo ebay 24v one and at the moment it is gathering dust somewhere under a pile of junk. I only wanted to keep it in the car for wheel changes but it won't undo them. I still use the £8 woolies special which plugs into cigarette lighter, that has no problems with the wheel nuts.

Steve

Alastairh

I wouldn't bother Ash. Look around as you need Torque, and that runs at 180ish, where as mine rund at 250 so having seen what mine can and can't do id save the cash for a better one, as the novelty will wear off quickly!

ashley peddle

ha ha oopsie - ordered a cheapo 24v one off ebay yesterday. should arrive either today or tomorrow so will updaye with how good it is :lol:

Sign in to follow this