• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willxs

106 Xtd

willxs

am i right in thinking that some of the old diesel 205's can be run on vegtable oil with not alot of modifications made?

i know its not a 205, but i've got a 106 diesel as a run cheap run around and was wondering what would be needed to run half diesel half veggy oil? just to make it that bit cheaper ;)

Cheers, Will

jim21070

Hi Will,

The general rule about running an XU/TU diesel on veg is that if it has a Bosch pump it will be fine but if it has a Lucas/RotoDiesel pump then don't under any circumstances.

The Bosch pump is a strong old device and can happily cope with the increased viscosity of cold veg. the Lucas pump has (I believe) fibre vanes in its lift pump and these break.

No modifications whatsoever are needed with a Bosch pump.

In the summer you can run 100% veg but in the late autumn through to spring you need to run up to 50% diesel.

It is a good idea to swap your fuel filter after running a few tankfuls of veg as it has a scouring effect and shifts a lot of rubbish from the tank.

Rapeseed oil is considered the best stuff.

It seems HMRC won't chase you for duty now if you use less than 2500 litres in a year so if you have that all important Bosch pump you'll be a winner all round.

Pals who use 100% veg in their Xantias report they go better on it! They smell nice if you're into that burned chippie smell ;)

willxs

Awesome! thanx Jim.

if its a case of having a lucas pump will it be as simple as swapping it to a bosch item to run it then!? or do the different pumps mean different technicallities down the line?

Guess the next question is, where's the best place to buy drums of Veggy oil!? ;)

Cheers, Will

jim21070

Hi Will,

A swap from a Lucas to a Bosch pump is quite possible. There are a few issues but essentially you need to swap the pump and the injector pipes. The injectors themselves are OK. The reason is that the Bosch and Lucas pumps have a different distributor firing order.

As for the pump, if you can get a Bosch pump from another very similar 106 then that is best but strictly, any fully mechanical Bosch pump from an XUD Turbo engine should be OK. The fuelling may be a little wrong but the mechanical Bosch pumps have a fair range of adjustments on them.

A small but not insurmountable problem will arise if you have semi-electronic control on your present pump, i.e. if it uses an ECU. Then the way to go is to ditch ECU control and go for a Bosch mechanical. It's easy to tell if you are under ECU control by the presence of a "K" (Engine Management) light on your dash.

I did this on a Xantia recently after the semi-electronic Bosch pump failed. I replaced it with a fully mechanical one and had to leave the old ECU in place to drive the tacho and operate the glowplug controller properly.

I'll be happy to advise further.

As for bulk veg, Costco are about the best it seems although they don't do Rapeseed. What they do do though seems OK judging by what my veggie Xantia owning freinds tell me.

willxs

Is there any quick way of telling which pump i have? i had a look under the plastic circular things under the back seats and neither of them looked like the pump? where abouts is it hidden!?

Cheers, Will

Ryan

The injection pump is bolted to the front of the engine on the driver's side and driven by the timing belt.

willxs

found it cheers.

How do i tell which one it is? i cant seem to find any codes or anything on it? its an early 96 106 diesel. whether that makes a difference i dont know?

Cheers, Will

Sign in to follow this