• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan57

1.9 Engine Blown

Dan57

I had quite an eventful weekend. Saturday the haed gasket failed in quite an impressive manner. 3 hours later with a new one all appeared well. Sunday I took the car 120 miles to Silverstone and blew the engine after just 2 laps. The car is now home but I think the damage will be pretty large. I think when the head gasket failed on Saturday that it had washed the piston rings which had created excessive crankcase pressure and all the oil exited through the breathers. The engine seized but would run once cooled down but knockes quite heavily. I realise that the cheapest repair is to replace the engine with another 1.9 but is there any other engine I could consider? e.g Renault/Citroen. I will probably go for another 1.9 as I loved the engine just thought it was an ideal opportunity to look into other possibilities.

ORB

Shame you are not nearer, I have a motor in my shed you could have had!

jim21070

Sorry to hear what happened Dan :)

Still, on the bright side, you have a golden opportunity now to go for a transplant. If you like the 1.9 you'll love a 2 litre Turbo from a Xantai Activa or XM. There are loads of threads on here on how to do the conversion. Donors are not expensive.

Else, how about going for a more up-to-date 16V XU from a late Xantia. The XU7 1.8i is said to be very good and they can be picked up for reasonable sums from the scrappies and are amenable to a spot of pretty straightforward tuning.

Dan57

Thanks for the info Jim. Is the Xantia turbo engine the same as the R21 turbo? I think I read somewhere that the 2.0 16v engine are essentially a later Mi16 with less power but more torque, is that right? I'll do a search for the turbo engine, I think that could sway me. ;)

jim21070
Thanks for the info Jim. Is the Xantia turbo engine the same as the R21 turbo? I think I read somewhere that the 2.0 16v engine are essentially a later Mi16 with less power but more torque, is that right? I'll do a search for the turbo engine, I think that could sway me. :)

No, the Xantia Turbo engine is not the same as the R21 one as far as I know. The engine in question is the XU10J2CTE (RGX and earlier RGY) and was used in the Activa, the XM Turbo and some 406s. There is a similar XU10J2 (but less the turbo) used in the Xantia, XM, 406 and the Pug/Cit people carriers which might fit the bill. The Turbo engine excels in the torque department, having a torque level and delivery similar to that of a diesel. In fact, the RGX and Y are called "Constant Torque" (CT) engines and are expressly designed to give bucketfuls at low RPM and maintain the level pretty constantly across the whoe rev range. They are a joy.

The 16 valve XUs are closely related to the later Mi16 and indeed look very similar. They are iron blocked.

steely205

I have a full Xsara VTS/GTI6 Conversion Kit, that I have decided not to go a head with.

Everything is there including Brakes, Disks and Pads! :)

Guest djd4n
I think when the head gasket failed on Saturday that it had washed the piston rings which had created excessive crankcase pressure and all the oil exited through the breathers.

Did it look something like this

engine4.jpg

Simliar happened to me on Sat too! Posted here about it

Grim.Badger
The 16 valve XUs are closely related to the later Mi16 and indeed look very similar. They are iron blocked.

Actually the 1.8 16v is alloy blocked with wet liners. I wouldn't chose this engine in standard form though as it is badly restricted. Should have good torque though.

ashley peddle

i see the "Mi16 ENGINE IS THE BESTEST ENGINE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" crew havnt arrived here yet then :wub:

1.9 8v engine

1.6 BE3 gearbox/flywheel

let the grinning commence :wub:

Edited by ashley peddle

Dream Weaver
i see the "Mi16 ENGINE IS THE BESTEST ENGINE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" crew havnt arrived here yet then :wub:

1.9 8v engine

1.6 BE3 gearbox/flywheel

let the grinning commence :wub:

Mi16 or GTI6 engine

1.6 BE3 gearbox/flywheel

Throttle Bodies

Cams

let the "proper" grinning commence :wub:

ashley peddle
Mi16 or GTI6 engine

1.6 BE3 gearbox/flywheel

Throttle Bodies

Cams

let the "proper" grinning commence :wub:

if you wonna get like that then its all about the GTi6 engine - they are out of decent cars :wub:

Mi16's are for girls :wub:

sonofsam
No, the Xantia Turbo engine is not the same as the R21 one as far as I know. The engine in question is the XU10J2CTE (RGX and earlier RGY) and was used in the Activa, the XM Turbo and some 406s. There is a similar XU10J2 (but less the turbo) used in the Xantia, XM, 406 and the Pug/Cit people carriers which might fit the bill. The Turbo engine excels in the torque department, having a torque level and delivery similar to that of a diesel. In fact, the RGX and Y are called "Constant Torque" (CT) engines and are expressly designed to give bucketfuls at low RPM and maintain the level pretty constantly across the whoe rev range. They are a joy.

Ssshh, it's our little secret :wub::wub:

Sign in to follow this