• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dfhaii

1.6 Gti Front Calipers And Discs

Guest Dfhaii

I currently drive an XS, and had my MOT today, the car went through fine, but I had an advisory that the off side front brake hose was a little worn. I could just throw new hoses on and bleed etc, but was wondering if it would be worth swapping my front calipers and discs for those from a 1.6 GTI to give it a little more in the way of stopping power, hopefully they would still fit under my 13" steelies!

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Thanks,

Colin.

swordfish210

1.6 GTI calipers and 1.9 discs is a great upgrade, not sure if they will fit under the 13" steels though

Casanova

I was told when I looked at upgrading the brakes on my XS that steelies won't fit over vented brakes. Best thing is to get some GTi alloys if you want to fit better brakes - they are cheaply available especially 1.6 GTi pepperpots (14"). Need different wheel nuts for them too.

Its worthwhile and easy to do... but if you're happy with your current brakes, you could just replace the hose - very cheap!

Thinking about it, new hoses aren't really an excuse for a caliper/disc change anyway - when I fitted my GTi brakes I just kept the old hoses on there as they were perfectly fine - I'm fairly sure hoses are the same across the range.

Hope that helps

§

Edited by Casanova

VisaGTi16v

1.6 calipers and discs fit under my Visa's 13" wheels and the XR2 wheels that I sprint with. Bit tight though as 1.9 calipers wont fit even with the same size disc so you may have issues but steel rims probably have more room

Guest Dfhaii

Thanks for the input, I think I'll try and get a set, they don't seem to be too pricy.

VisaGTi16v

I was watching a set of 1.6 calipers on ebay the other day that didnt sell for £10 and have been relisted. Discs dirt cheap if you go to www.buypartsby.co.uk or .com forget now

Anulfo

Shameless self promotion here im selling a whole host of pug 205 parts on ebay including a set of Bendix front calipers from a 1.6GTi and later today i shall be putting on a set of 1.6 alloys!!! The calipers are at a mere £1-00 at moment!!!!Everything must go!!! check user ele2170

Would rather they went to a good home than down the scappies!!

Anulfo

or scrappies even!!! :wacko:

Guest Dfhaii

I've been thinking again, I have a 405 Mi16 sitting on the drive waiting for the engine to be out and rebuilt before throwing in a 205 (the 405 is knackered, no straight panels, fungus inside and generally horrible), and am wondering if I could use the front calipers and discs from that on my XS instead of getting 1.6 GTi items?

Any thoughts? ;)

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this