• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wolfie 67

Please Help

Wolfie 67

Ok guys and girlies i need your help if possible, i have a 205gti 1.6, and what the problem is, is when i goto start the car all i get is like a clicking sound now i thought it was my battery on its way out but since ive been told its my starter, reason im asking is i broke down today and i tried jump leads (although the cheap ones) and nothing would happen after a few mins while waiting for my next victim to try again jump leads i tried startin car and this time i got clicking, anyway managed to wave another victim down and when he heard the clicking he said its my starter, so which one could it be and if its starter how can i find out if it is on its way out, please help as i dont know much about cars and need all the help i can get.

cheers all :rolleyes:

Pug_Power_Dave

had that on my pug, sounds like it is the starter solinoid not engaging the starter properly, or it can also be a dodgy earth connection or your excitor wire corroded on the starter terminal! (or poss the dreaded brown multi plug if your excitor wire runs through this).

no real way of testing, cos i found when i took the starter off and just connected it up to a battery it worked fine everytime??

few options for you to try thou :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

Wolfie 67

Ok im going to sound a right d*ck but, whats a (excitor) lol and also (dreaded brown multi plug), sorry dave i did say im a plonka when it comes to cars i just know how to drive them (just) not fix lol, erm you said u have had this problem with your pug mate what did it turn out to be for you, and cheers for replying need all the help i can get :rolleyes:

SamGTi

I have had loads of problems starting mine lately. Basically, you have got to check all the wiring right from the key to the starter motor which includes the earth leads from the battery negative terminal to the gearbox and inner wing. Check all the wires and clean the connections and terminals up and see if that works.

The brown multiplug is a common fault on 205's. If you search the forum for 'brown multiplug' I am sure you will see what I mean.

So if all your wiring is checked and cleaned and it still won't work you may need to replace the starter motor itself.

I spent ages on mine checking all the wiring twice, replaced the ignition barrel and replaced the starter motor only to find I needed a new battery in the first place!

Pug_Power_Dave

Dont panic wolfie we've all got to start somewhere :P

For your starter you have some chunky battery cable that runs from the battery to the starter and then the starter earths through the engine back to the chassis / -ve side of the battery. the excitor wire is just a small wire that runs from the key when you turn it all the way on to turn the engine over to the back of the starter motor that engages the solenoid so it gets the full power from the battery to make it work.

for mine i ran a new wire in to excite the starter from a push button switch on the dash, and laid a load of new chunky battery cable to the starter and alternator, and ran an extra earth wire in, and then ended up change the starter for a high torque one lol, seemd to do the job in the end.

i'd start with excitor wire, you can just put a spade terminal on abit of wire then attach it to the back of the starter, (u'll see where) and then flash it straight accross the +ve side of the battery, and see if it works.

let us know how u get on, im sure we can come up with more options :)

Gd luck

Dave

Wolfie 67

Hi dave, cheers for the reply, but i have to say when i say im a complete idiot when it comes to cars and fixing them, and im embarassed to admit i have come across my first problem erm................weres the dam starter on these things, found alternator and rest of stuff but for the life of me i cannot see to bloody starter lol, the only place i can think of is under the inlet monifold and please dont tell me im right as that looks really hard to remove with the card on it and god knows what else, i can see me completly killing my pug :P so i need advice 1 were the starter is, and 2 how to remove (the most easyiest way possible) lol again cheers for your replys realy am gratefull.

Wolfie aka Carl

Pug_Power_Dave

yep thats the bad boy, right under the inlet manifold, haynes manual says you have to take the inlet manifold off to remove the starter but thats not true you can work it without!

Should be 3 bolts holding it on, if you take some of the inlet rubber piping off up to the throttle body then you should be able to see straight down there at the starter bolts.

So make sure you disconnect the battery 1st, then its a spade terminal and a nut on the back of the starter for the wiring, and 3 bolts through the gearbox bell housing / starter.

Any more q's just keep them coming :P

Cheers

Dave

SamGTi

And if you need a replacement starter then I have a perfectly good one if you need it! :P

Wolfie 67

Ok chaps ive never missed with cars before like this, but i would like to take the inlet manifold off so i can give the connections a good clean and also do them on the alternator as here all rusted up, but i need help with taking the manifold out, i dont really want to make things worse then they already are in screwing my pug up completly, so how do i take the manifold off what do i need to do, without disconnecting to many things, if that makes sence, like i said im an idiot when it comes to cars (fixing).

Also if my starter is screwed were are you from sam !

cheers all

welshpug

youre in Walsall right? take it along to DES developments :blush:

Wolfie 67

Yeah walsall chap, but cash flow is crappy, anyway im not sure what to do, charged battery today and put it in car turned key went first time, but sometiems when i turn key it does click, now havin said that about 4yrs ago i had a full system install u know, head unit, 2 eqs, and speakers, now coudl all these screw my battery up, could the battery be screwed i was going to pop to my local car shop for them to test it but they will prob say its dead if it isnt to get the cash, i really dont know what to do chaps, looking at my alternator were battery lead connects there all rusted up, so god kno0ws what the starter is like (and why they put them under the inlet manifold worst place to get to i will never know) i just dont have a clue what to do now guys and girls :(

Pug_Power_Dave

righto if you really want to take you inlet manifold off i think its just a case off unclipping the injector wires, (lable them 1-4 first) removing the rubber inlet pipes, unhooking the throttle cable, (should twist forwards and pop out sideways) and there a couple of water pipes and a vac pipe for you dizzy on the throttle body aswell. then just a case of undoing the manifold nuts, you will get some water leakage as you undo it, and then lift off out the way / rotate back over the engine if you've left the fuel pipe on.

you should be able to get to everything nicely then. will need a new inlet gasket when puting it back together, and scraping off the old one, or if you just going to put it back on the use some hermitite instant gasket sealer. and top up with water again!

cheers

Dave

jackherer
righto if you really want to take you inlet manifold off i think its just a case off unclipping the injector wires, (lable them 1-4 first)

no need for labels as they all fire at the same time :(

Pug_Power_Dave

Cool i didnt know that! Cheers Jack, everydays a school day :(

Guest Az_GTi

Had this on my old pug. Would almost always start from cold but after a run wouldn't always start. Starter turned, click click and then either started or went dead. Turns out it was the tachymetric relay - located in a cubby hole just above the pedals to right of wheel. It was getting very hot. Changed it problem sorted.

Just posted here as I'm searching the forums for battery and earthing issues as my current pug is playing up so sorry for a 2wk old bump. Wolf did you get it sorted in the end anyway?

Sign in to follow this